New valves / valve-block for Monette horns?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Robert Rowe, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    In house.

ML

2. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Very interesting! I'd like to try one of Dave's trumpet some day, shame they're so rare over here.

3. Siegtrmpt

Siegtrmpt Mezzo Piano User

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    Dave M. credits Charlie Gorham (retired IU trumpet prof) with helping him get his start building complete instruments (buying the first couple before they were a hot item) and encouraging top players he was aquainted with to give them a try. While I imagine it's financially smart to make presentation instruments for well to do trumpet players he also makes good, clean looking professional instruments that you can play on a gig without embarrassment. To each his own.

4. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I may be having a senior moment but I seem to recall that Dave started out making lead pipes that really improved the horn with its intonation and the way it "blew". He just expanded on that by putting his ideas into the rest of the horn. From a lttle acorn a mighty oak grew. Ialso seem to remember that he started out here in Indiana [ I may be wrong so don't hit the old guy]. Dave

5. Siegtrmpt

Siegtrmpt Mezzo Piano User

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    That's pretty close to right. Dave is from Oregon though and came out to Indiana to work with Mr. Gorham. A lot of us that were students there at the time (c.1980) liked Dave's pipes and some of us still use them today. The Monette trumpet evolved from leadpipe modifications to leadpipe/bell mods to complete horns. My general opinion is that using a Monette mouthpiece on a standard brand name trumpet accomplishes pretty much the same result as his leadpipe modifications did back then.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    My memory is that he started with tuning-bell conversions, then went to leadpipes, (after this point my pocketbook was empty) then bells at Will's in Portland and then to complete horns in Chicago and later to New-Age instruments that conductors don't like. Nice guy, sincere, wierd beard.