New Vincent Bach Strad - help selecting

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Benjobox, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Benjobox

Benjobox New Friend

Nov 4, 2013
    Many thanks for your reply :-)

Don't worry, I'm not the king of pedant-ry (or is it ped-antry...) so I'm not going to pick you up on whether you made $300 or £200 profit!

I haven't tried many others, but I'm drawn to VB as I said, because of its reputation as the 'crème-da-la-creme' and being the standard for pro instruments. I like the handmade aspect of the VBs as well, and the fact they're made across the pond..

You say that all VBs of the same model are different - but my problem is that I struggle to pick up on differences when trying out trumpets - such as 43 and 37 bells.

2. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    I would think for orchestral or classical playing, either the 37 or the 72 bell would be the way to go, leaning toward the 37. I agree that you want to try as many as possible. This was the approach for the selection of both my Bb and C Bachs in the early 70s. My teacher had a friend who was a member of the CSO and asked him to go to Elkhart and try a bunch of horns and pick one out for me. I was told he tried over 20 Bbs before selecting mine. I was just a kid so wouldn't have known the difference one from the other.

I also agree that the horn tends to tighten up a bit around high C and beyond. I'm looking to try a round tuning slide since I've heard that helps.

Good luck!

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The differences between the 37 and 43 bell are really subtle when the rest of the horn is standard (ML, regular weight, regular tuning slide, 25 leadpipe). To me, the 43 is a little more versitile, a little more open than the 37, but not much. Either one is close enough to a "middle of the road" trumpet that you can use it for just about anything.

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    IMO the only real difference a reversed leadpipe setup makes in most cases is that the bell brace is positioned closer to the player which frees up more bell up front to resonate - yielding a bit more responsiveness. There is no vertical brace on the leadpipe (there IS one on the tuning slide) which also adds to responsiveness.

5. Benjobox

Benjobox New Friend

Nov 4, 2013
    Many thanks for this, man. By this difference in playing amongst the same models, are you talking about some of them being shoddy/inferior and others being far better quality? Or do you mean subtle differences in timbre.. I really do appreciate your advice, but I feel I'm drawn towards Bach, much in the same way some people are drawn towards Fords and others Renaults....

6. Benjobox

Benjobox New Friend

Nov 4, 2013
    So to the untrained ear (meaning here anyone without a Doctorate in Brass Musicology,) there is no difference in tone whatsoever?

7. jengstrom

jengstrom Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    For many years, I was reluctant to make the trip to a store that had a lot of horns because I didn't think I was good enough to notice subtle differences between them. This year, the valves on my old faithful 43* got so bad the horn had become almost unplayable. I went to a store and played a bunch of horns. I didn't get to play multiple examples of the same model, but played 8 different horns. Each had its strong points. However, the winner was obvious. I encourage you to find a store that has several horns to try. I've seen a saying posted somewhere that the right horn will find you. It's true.

In case anyone's interested, after playing Schilkes, Bachs, Kanstuls, and one Yamaha, the winner was a 72*.

-John

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  8. Benjobox

Benjobox New Friend

Nov 4, 2013
    Many thanks John.

Out of interest, do you think if someone was to play the same melodic phrase on say, a Bach 37, 43 and 72, with you blindfolded, you'd be able to tell which was which?

Also what do you think of this horn: New Bach Stradivarius Mariachi LR190S43B Professional Trumpet!

I have to say I fricking love the look of it, and the bronze bell is supposed to do great things..

Cheers man

9. arlington

arlington Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2012
    Lancaster, OH
    Imo, it's no wonder that you didn't pick up on the differences of the various models. Before I laid down that kinda cash I would need to play it everywhere I would normally play. Such as church, band room, outdoors, etc. Then I would run every scale imaginable paying close attention to the notes. Then there's the feel of the instrument. See where I'm going with this? No matter what horn it is it can't be properly evaluated in a music store, period. If Bach is what you're after find a retailer who is willing to let you try the instrument before you buy. Then you will be free to really "Play Test" the instrument. Plus you won't have any buyers remorse down the line. And if the particular Bach you choose isn't right for you then you can easily move on to the next one with your money still in hand.

10. Evergrey_rocks

Evergrey_rocks Piano User

Aug 18, 2013
    The horns weren't inferior at all. They were the same make but they produced different tones and due to the difference in tone and they gave a different feel. I tried a few 37's that produced a beautiful tone quality and made me sound amazing and then a few others that were superior to my 601 and other store models, but didn't produce a tone quality/feel quite as good as the others. When I went up to high notes, a few of the 37's actually didn't close up and a few did.

All in all, if you're drawn to the Strads, then get one, they are very good horns. Just make sure you've play tested it and you're happy with its sound. DON'T order one online!!!