New Vincent Bach Strad - help selecting

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Benjobox, Nov 5, 2013.

1. jengstrom

jengstrom Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    Well, that's putting me on the spot, now, isn't it? :roll: Me and my big damn mouth.

The answer is I think so. In any case, I'd love to try. Anyone in the Rochester area have all 3? No fair mixing std. weights with lightweights. It is possible that the reason I gravitated to this new horn is that I'm just used to the way Bachs play. I also played an Artisan that day. I really liked that one too. I just didn't think it would do the big band and pit stuff as well as the 72* (or the B1, for that matter). And it began to close up on me once I was out of the staff. Not as badly as most 37's I've played, but a little. But that's just for me. For someone else, it could have been the perfect horn. I'd love to play an Artisan C.

As for the Mariachi, I'd love to play one. When I tested all those horns I mentioned, I asked the dealer if he had any reverse leadpipe Bachs. He didn't. The Mariachi looks essentially like a fancy, copper belled version of a LR43. Some day I'll make a trip to Dillons and play some stuff, including that one.

-John

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I agree. I find the 43 to be a bit more versatile. Some might add the that 43 is a bit brighter, but I'm not sure that's true for me. But I'm biased, because most of my time has been with the 43 bell.

In case it hasn't been mentioned, the OP might benefit from the Bach Loyalist summary of the Bach bells.
    BachLoyalist.com - Trumpet Bells

Mike

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Thank for the additional information Evergrey. And I do agree with your suggestion that the OP try a lot of horns before making a choice.

A little off-topic, but I think that sometimes our own idiosyncrasies (and not the actual hardware) dictate what we think of a horn. Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure this is true for me, too. But that could help explain why people have different views of the same trumpet.

Mike

4. Benjobox

Benjobox New Friend

Nov 4, 2013
    Haha - if only someone here who has access to Bachs in all of the bell sizes could (kindly) upload a video comparing them side-by-side. Now that'd be cool!

Thanks very much for the help again. Slightly off topic I know, but do you know the kind of margins brass dealers would be getting on a Bach Strad or what cost-price might be...

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I think that happens more than "sometimes".

6. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    Personally, for me at least,I would be against the reverse lead pipe. Having played one for four years now (looking for a new one) I would say that for a player with not as much experience, the partials are too far apart on a reverse tuning horn. A normal tuning will provide easier slotting and closer partials, making a better horn for a more inexperienced player. Also, although you have said you want to try bach, I recomend trying to find a good olds super as well and trying that out, really just out of this world on value and quality. Just putting that out there. Best of luck!