New Yamaha / Malone Trumpets!

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Anonymous, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    I have heard these new trumpets should be out and about now. If anyone gets their hands on one I'd like to hear some thoughts. I have heard everything from its the greatests trumpet ever built to its awful.

I play on a Yamaha Malone full conversion C trumpet. It is a very old Mark II with a gold heavy bell. I think it is fantastic. I wonder how it compares to the new production Yamaha/Malones. Before switching to this trumpet I was playing on a Bach 229 25H.

2. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    I should have mine by this Friday. I will post my reaction as soon as I can.....

:-)

Mike

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    You have one on order? :shock: Wow.. Yes please let us know what you think!

4. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    yeah, I was on Dillon's waiting list for almost 8 months, as soon as I heard they were coming out "sometime". I sold my Bach/Laskey C last summer so I would have the money ready. One of the things that really drew me to these horns was hearing how consistent the prototypes all are. John Hagstom was very helpful; answered all of my questions. My Laskey C was also a great horn, very focused, great intonation. But I was having trouble getting the horn to "warm-up" sound-wise. People that have played both the Laskey and the new yamaha tell me that the Yamaha is able to change colors easier.

More to follow.........

Mike

5. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    I made a post on this before the site was defaced. I played the new Yamaha at the Midwest Clinic in Chicago almost two weeks ago.

I find the new Yamaha to be an excellent horn, one that would be at the top of my list if I were buying a new horn and had $3000 to spend. The sound was very even, more even than the Xeno C I used to have, and more even (slightly) than my Bach/Malone C. Pitch was great, though I did use the usual alternate fingerings for fourth space E and Eb. Sound was very good; I found it halfway between my old Xeno and my Bach/Malone. I couldn't quite get the burn I get with my Bach/Malone, but I probably don't need that anyway :-). I do firmly believe that the Bach sound is THE sound for orchestral trumpet playing, but I could easily use the Yamaha. It is very close. The fit and finish was the usual Yamaha excellence.

Having said this, I do like my Bach/Malone more than the new Yamaha. If I didn't have my current horn, I would have trouble buying anything but the new Yamaha.

These are only my thoughts and opinions, and yes it was only based on me playing the horn for 20 minutes at the Midwest Clinic. Just thought I would tell you what I found.

I will also have some playing time on the new Yamaha in the near future; my teacher is on the list to receive one.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    The best C trumpet I have ever played was a Bach Malone full conversion with a MC1 pipe. I think my Yamaha/Malone blends very well with Bachs. I had played a 229 25/h for years but when I came across this Yamaha it just flat out beat my Bach so I bought it.

:soap:

Just had to try that one

7. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    John Holt demonstrated and compared one to his personal Yamalone. He preferred the response of the new C and most of us preferred the projection and tone of the new C; however, the person sitting next to me preferred the Yamalone's tone. (The new horn was slightly more brilliant).

People with Malone, Laskey and other first rate conversions may not want to make a move, IMHO; however, anyone buying their first serious C-trumpet has to consider the new 9445CHS.

Dave

8. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    My new horn arrived last night........

WOW!!!! :D

My first impressions:

I ordered the horn without the Yamaha double case for 2 reasons. One, I did not need another case. And two, I prefer shipping horns without a case, so the horn can be wrapped in bubble wrap and styrofoam peanuts. The horn arrived in great shape. The assembly and silver plating are flawless; which is a Yamaha trait. Since the horn was on the UPS truck all day, it was frozen solid, so I had to let it warm up to room temp before I could do anything with it. But I began by playing easy chromatic scales, starting at middle C and going up by 1/2 step. This is a great way to check out eveness of blow, intonation, etc. Everything felt very secure. The sound on this horn is incredible; tons of core and focus, and the response seems lightning-fast. I remember how my Laskey C played, which is very similar to the new Yamaha. However, the Yamaha feels a little more open, and I think I can change tonal colors easier. The Laskey seemed more locked in to a tighter and brighter sound. As far as intonation, I found that the E and Eb sound right on with normal fingerings. But on a tuner, the notes were a bit low. But when I used alternate fingerings, the sound did not change. So, the option is there, if you need to use the alternates depending on what you are playing and what position the E and Eb are in the particular chord you are part of.....

Also, I found that the farther out I pulled the tuning slide, the more the notes were off. I tend to play on the low side of the pitch in general, so the tuning slide ended up almost all the way in for me. I may need to get a shorter slide, but that can happen later..........

The more I backed off, the easier this horn responded. But when I put the screws to it, playing the Alpine Symphony licks, it really lit up, without being too bright.

Gaps: Most of my C trumpet mouthpieces gapped around .080, which is a lot tighter than any other C trumpet I have played. I have a Yamaha 16C4GP, and that mouthpiece gapped even closer at .075. I tried the Reeves paper trick, and when I got the gap out to .130 or so, the horn did not respond as well. To summarize, the horn is set up perfectly for a wide range of mouthpieces. The only thing I may need to do is get a shorter tuning slide to raise the overall pitch up a bit. I am going to send Bob an email or phone message next week and ask him if anybody else has had this problem.

This is by far the best C trumpet I have ever played. And that includes a closet full of Bachs, a Bach/Laskey conversion, and 2 Monette C trumpets I have owned. Now I need to practice my a** off, so I can be worthy of playing this wonderful horn.......

I hear Yamaha is working on a new Artist model Bb. I will be selling a few Bachs so I have the money available when the new Bb is out.

Mike

9. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Yamaha recently had a clinic in NYC that featured David Krauss from the Met.

He sounded incredible on his C trumpet. He talked very highly about the new horn. He says it allows him to express himself better than any other c Trumpet.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Thanks for the review. I'd like to try one and compare it to my Yamaha/Malone Conversion!

I have heard these things go for 3G :shock:

Is that correct?