New Year Challenge

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Heavens2kadonka, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Okay, had an idea for a little game for all of us horn-heads to play this coming year!

Go out of your way to play horns that you have never played. Models, brands, styles... You get the drift. Bb, C, Eb, Picc, Flugel, Flumpet, Cornet.... Anything that is considered in the trumpet family.

Play this horn for 10 minutes. Do not count warm-up time. Do the warm-up on your main axe before you play this horn. Use your primary mouthpiece, as well. If you are playing on something that uses a different mp receiver, use whats available.

After you play it, get as much technical info on it as possible. Serial, any custom work, any repair work, all that good stuff. Oh, brand and model too! :-)

Give us your thoughts on the horn.

Lets see who can get the most, or the largest variety, or play the most exotic horn!

Anyone interested in playing the game?

Van

MJ likes this.
  2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    A quick perusal of the horns listed in my signature should indicate that I already own several unusual and desireable horns. I do give each of them a bit of tooting on an ongoing basis. Since I made that list I have added several 'new' instruments. I now have, in addition to those listed a Yamaha flugel, a Conn New World Symphony trumpet, an Olds MIlitary Model trumpet with hand hammered bell, an Olds Studio Model trumpet, a Conn Concert Grand cornet, a Salvationist Publishing Eb soprano cornet and several others.

OLDLOU>>

3. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I used to play that game all the time when I was living in the Seattle area - monthly visits to Dick Akwright and Oberloh (Dan Oberloh's private collection has every cool vintage horn you could ask for). Unfortunately, it's not as easy to do where I am now. I love to check out every new or old horn I can - guess I'll live vicariously through the rest of you for a while.......

4. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Count me in!

I'll start with my Couesnon flugel, when I get it back from getting a little bit of work done in the shop.

5. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm going out of my way to only play a few horns this year.... and sell the rest.
    -T

6. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I have to buy anything I want to play at this point since their is not a large place where musicians meet in my area!!! I guess I could drove out to OldLou's place and sweet talk him into lettingme play all of his gems!!! OldLou has the collection I want to have some day in terms of the quality,variety and vintage!! In Michigan you really have to go to the large cities to find any real variety of instruments at the music store's eventhe large chain stores have next to nothing in stock except Chi-COm interements and a few Bach's just in case! It seems like any more they all have to order what you want. Now if you go to th e better stores closer to say Detroit or Grand Rapids or even cross into Canada it is a lot better. So for a lot of us that live in the middle of no where this game is not going to be that much fun. My chances of running into something really rare or really top of the line are slim to known short of tracking down private collectors and asking them to share their toys with me! Even the pawn shops in my area are no help. Maybe I can sweet talk some gal at the Henry Ford Mesusem into lettingm e play with some of the the preety instruments behind the glass!LOL

It does sound like it would be fun though for those with access to some thing more radical then say run of th emill student instruments and the occassional Bach Strad or Getzen professional line up!

7. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    ya right :lol:

Heavens2kadonka likes this.
  8. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I actually am thinking of starting a trumpet shop to justify my neurotic behavior!

9. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Shoot, thanks to my affiliation with not only Felix from NYTC, but with plenty of neurotic trumpet players, I KNOW I'm going to have a hard time myself!

I live within 5 hours of both Blackburn and Lawler, so I should eventually have a story to tell! However, I only have 3 months before I go to Basic, so the playing field should be about equal...? :-P

My idea is this: if you play at least ONE new horn that you like, you win the game!

...And of course, I know a lot of us want to hear about it.

Van

10. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    Good idea, I'll play the game with my Yamaha student model horn...