new year's eve

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by davidjohnson, Dec 30, 2005.

1. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    anyone got a gig new year's eve? gonna play on that new super trumpet you got for christmas?

dj

2. ALLCHOPS

ALLCHOPS Piano User

Nov 14, 2003
    Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
    New Years Eve

Sure do! We are playing at this place - www.thesagamore.com/resort/

This will be our 3rd year here. This is probably one of the best gigs I do simply because my Wife and 5 year old son can come and enjoy all of the amenities as well as the show. We get rooms, food(Dinner & Brunch) + a very big chunk-o-cahnge!

Happy New Year!

Tony G

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    We will be at the University of Michigan.

"Ring In The Cure"
    To benefit The University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center.

-cw-

4. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    I'll be on my front porch with a bottle of sum'tin and a horn, harassing the neighbors, as usual!

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'm playing at Michael's 8th Avenue in Glen Burnie, Maryland. It is not by far my favorite place to play, but it's hard to argue when they pay what they do and they call back on New Year's day to book the band for the following New Year's Eve. This is the 3rd year in a row we'll play this gig.

I'll make an even $500 for my efforts and I'll be doing it on my Reeves aligned Schilke B6. There are certainly worse ways I could be spending my time on New Year's eve, but frankly, I would just as soon spend it at home, chillin' with my family, hitting the rack soon after ringing in the New Year.

6. wrbandel

wrbandel Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Yep, I'll be playing for the 12th year in a row. This year we're playing at the Albert Lea Country Club.

The band I'm in (www.incognitoband.net) is one of the most popular in southern Minnesota, (and has been around for 19+ years) so we get booked almost a year ahead of time.

I always enjoy playing on New Years Eve, as our spouses come to the gig to celabrate with us. Nothing beats celebrating with family and friends, and playing great music.
    :D

Have a safe and Happy New Year!
    Warren

7. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    It's an all Gershwin concert this year with the Mesa Symphony Orchestra and guest artists Mike Crotty and Deater O'Neill as well as a Jazz Trio. Mike did all the arrangements for the orchestra and they are just fantastic. He was the arranger for the Airmen of Note for many years and is a fantastic trumpet / sax player.

The Jazz trio includes Chuck Marohnic (piano), Dom Moio (Drums), and Dwight Killian (Bass). We've done concerts with them in the past, and they are simply outstanding!

I'm really looking forward to my evening!

8. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    Not really, unless you count my plans of standing on the front porch and playing "Auld Lang Syne" at the top of my lungs and then shouting "Happy New Year" as obnoxiously as I possibly can a gig. :lol:

Lara

9. BradHarrison

BradHarrison Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I was offered a gig but the pay was really crappy and it was way outside the city(i.e. no chance of meeting friends afterwards) so I turned it down. $100 just isn't worth it to drive 45 minutes for a 4 hour big band gig on New Years Eve. My teachers all said $100/hour is pretty standard for that night in Toronto. I get $100 for a one hour church gig with no reheasal that's around the corner form my house!

10. mrfabulous963

mrfabulous963 Piano User

Nov 26, 2005
    The "family" will play at one of our houses. the family consist's of my dads friends since grade school, all now in their late forty's. The children refer to them and their wives as uncle and aunt, and the kids as "cousins" (easier than that mr and mrs crap all the time)
    so here's the line up

"Uncle" Fred- Electric Bass and String Bass
    "Uncle" cow(part of his last name)- Self taught guitar, sounds as good as Carlos Santana
    "Uncle" Kap(part of his last name)- Drummer, through and through
    "Uncle" Fritz(my dad long story how fritz developed)- Keyboards
    "Cousin" Nic- 7 years Alto Sax
    "Cousin" Dan(myself)- 6 years Trumpet