New Years Trumpet Resolutions?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kctrumpeteer, Jan 2, 2013.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Sound like somebody is playing some pop/rock tunes?
    Funny how all those tunes seem to be in "natural" keys for guitars, eh?

2. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    That's because string instruments are more "comfortable" in "sharp" keys, while wind instruments are more "comfortable" in "flat" keys....

3. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    To have all my horns fully restored to their original condition. I'm already done with my 58 Old's recording that came back with brand new valves some dent work done. Next, my Silver Flair is going to get some nice custom engraving and then some dent removal before replating it. Finally, My King Super 20 DB Silver Sonic will get a polish and relaquor job.

This is just the start of the New Years Resolution. Man do I have my hands full. I also have this project I am working on where I am micing a few different horns to see what their frequency responses are with respect to harmonics in a sutained tone, slotting and center frequency response throughtout a scale (Bb Concert). So many variables that can be tested my mind is going berzerk.

4. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    2013 is the year impro is going to take off. Well I'm going to do my best! Been learning about blues scales and where they fit in and its been an education. Actually had the guts to have a go and it kinda worked. So more playing, more confidence and more practice. Boy am I serious about this.

5. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    Oh yes someone mentioned about playing in concert E, A and B..... dont know about those but I have been known to pull my main slide out and play in A only its in C :) kinda works

6. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    I don't think that applies to all winds, or even to all brasswinds. It just so happens that for the handful of instruments tuned to Bb, transposing a key represented in flats means just removing two flats from the key; but for a key represented by sharps, you've gotta add two more on there. Since early music theory worked off of the circle of fifths (there's a reason that the V chord is called "dominant"), more of that music wound up in those keys (C G D A E B).

I'd be really interested in the results, and possibly willing to send in a recording of my ML1-G to see where it stacks up so long as I can find a recording setup of sufficient quality (I think my Aunt may still have her studio equipment).

For me, well, try to get some practice in every day (working 12h a day with odd hours makes this difficult, not to mention that playing isn't my only hobby that needs daily maintenance). Buy an Arban's. Harass Blessing until they send me a set of replacement felts. Perhaps poke around until I can find a local teacher.

7. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    BHI,
    Someone will slap me straight soon enough if this is nonsense, but I think any well equipped repair shop local to you could fix you right up with the felts you need. I had wear parts replaced on my Super Artist a short time ago, including felts, for a surprisingly low price.
    Jim

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I'd love to get back the right-brained innocence of listening to music rather than the left-brained trained part of me that analyzes it and chops it up into component parts. More Plato, less Aristotle.

9. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Ahhh the simplicity of music as we hear it. Imagine how many times they had to try back in the early development days to get it right?

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Well OK now... That's ONE New Year's Resolution that has come to fruition:
    Kanstul.com

Thanks Charles... That is the pic I would have chosen as well!