New Years Trumpet Resolutions?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kctrumpeteer, Jan 2, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Well I have half a mind to tell you that innocence is all I have on my side.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  2. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    Problem is that there's no such thing as a well-equipped local repair shop. The entire reason I have the wrong felts on my horn to begin with is a local company was supposed to be the be-all and end-all of local music stores which closed up shop a few years back. I paid them seventy-five bucks to take my trumpet in for an ultrasonic cleaning and a valve alignment, which was all done by some nameless and faceless person whom I've never met. I got the horn back with the factory felts (black in color) replaced by a green (upper) and white (lower) set. I took it back to their "repair cage" and asked for a replacement, and it was no dice. It wasn't until I came here that I realized that it was the felts which was throwing my alignment off by 2-3mm on each valve when closed, and probably 1mm-2mm when open. So, my trust in local companies is shot.

I found a way to order them from Blessing, but there's a $10 minimum. So, I tacked on a new set of springs and valve guides to get there and found that shipping will be another $10. I stalled for a little while since my bank account wasn't exactly shiny, and then when my most recent paycheck hit, submitted the order. Then I found out that I can't actually pay until they call me. Which they haven't done, and I'm not very surprised, considering the amount of my order.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I "felt" your pain, until I discoverd Gary at Hauer Music here in Dayton, OH. I use to take my horns to several other local dealers with just mediocer "fixes". I discovered Gary at Hauer based on a recommendation of one of the trumpeters in the Jazz Orchestra in which I play. This guy is amaxing. He totally re-felted my Recording, Committee and Kanstul flugelhorn that had enhanced the performance of all three instruments beyond the factory standard. So I do believe, there are hidden talents in many cities that have their own "Garys". I had the same experience when I lived in Ft. Collins, CO. There was an excellent craftsman in that city that resurrected my horns at that time as well.

4. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Hopefully, Blessing will come through for you in a timely manner. If you feel like doing so, please let us know how it all works out.

Like gmonady wrote, there are good shops out there. Deb Lahr, at Mynett Music (Welcome to Mynett Music - Fort Wayne's Best place to buy or rent new or used school band instruments and accessories.), here in Fort Wayne has done a fine job for me with several of my instruments.

Jim

5. NMMark1962

NMMark1962 New Friend

Dec 24, 2012
    Santa Fe, NM
    My first post here.....my New Year's resolution is to get my chops back in shape after a stooopid 6.5 year hiatus. Just got a cheap (but new) student trumpet that will get back me in shape (though extreme patience is needed not to rush things)...then, off to ITG this summer to see what plays well (and get a new Bb and C)..... what is unbelievable to me is the extreme proliferation of new horn manufacturers, mouthpiece makers, oils/creams, mutes....

Cheers,

6. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    welcome to the forum and back to trumpeting! I took a 30 year 'hiatus' and got back into it a couple of years ago. Have had a few instruments, starting with ones given to me but have now found an instrument that suits me all round. This is a great place and you are sure to find encouragement and practical advice in all aspects of your newly rediscovered talent!

7. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Welcome to TM!
    Jim

8. NMMark1962

NMMark1962 New Friend

Dec 24, 2012
    Santa Fe, NM
    Many thanks!!! I am still just stunned by what has transpired during my 6 year hiatus.....there are so many new trumpet makers as well as a myriad of new valve oils (back before I stopped playing, it was Al Cass and Blue Juice, which I loved to mix 50/50 and it worked sweetly) not to mention the numerous new makers of mouthpieces.....

Back in my undergrad days (early 1980's) you had Bach, Yamaha, Benge, Getzen and Schilke....jeez I think it would take more than two hands to count the new makers, besides Blackburn and Monette....ITG should hopefully be fun this summer to see many of the makers in one place (well, minus Monette)....

Cheers,