New York City Trip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by erd402, Apr 16, 2011.

1. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    I'll be going up to New York City for the 9/11 Tenth Year Tribute and for the 92nd Annual Veterans Day Parade. The band director is trying to plan the entire trip and what we do up there but if my parents go I'm going to see if he'll let me go off with them to take a lesson from a NYC trumpet player. What would it cost to take a lesson with someone there and who would you recommend? I just think it seems like a great learning opportunity and it'd be a shame not to at least try to set up some lessons while there. I'd also like to go down the the NYTC shop. So does anyone have any ideas of maybe some other things I should look into while up there.

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    WHat type of music are interested in?

Classical or jazz?

3. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    That's a battle for me. I love them both, but I think at this point in my life it would be best to focus on more classical playing. Jazz is something I think I'll branch out more into in college. Now how I love Broadway musicals. That would be my dream line of work (I can say that since I don't have to go through what they do on a daily basis. I think that would be a hard gig.)

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Wow Chuck - I was just so close to thinking you might have been about to ask the old Country and/or Western question? I'm a touch relieved. Well, maybe I'm just a little 'touched' ..... ROFL

5. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Its 'cause we like both kinds of music here - country AND western

6. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    Charlie Porter can play jazz or classical. I enjoy his teaching videos on YouTube. Here is his web site.
    Charlie Porter | Private Lessons

It would be alot of fun taking a lesson from him.
    Good Luck,
    Bobby

7. Bill McCloskey

Bill McCloskey Piano User

Apr 22, 2007
    You can expect to pay $50-$100 for an hour lesson with a NY pro. Since you say you like classical and jazz, I would highly recommend Wilmer Wise who has his own section on this site. Contact him before hand and go over what you want to cover in the lesson. If you have specific things you are working on, he can probably work with you on those things.