New York Philharmonic Audition

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Oct 15, 2005.

1. sinfoniantrumpeter

sinfoniantrumpeter Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2005
    Re: Ney York Philharmonic Audition

amen

2. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Neither one of these statements is 100% accurate. It appears from the material they sent that they intend to fill both positions at once. The prelim rep will be the same for everyone, and it would appear that the semi-finals will be at least primarily the same.

On the "master list" it indicates that a candidate should prepare 1st and 2nd trumpet parts to all those pieces if they are interested in both jobs.
    A person could audition for one or the other if they wanted to.

Since each position requires specific strengths, I'm sure the section playing in the finals will be geared toward finding the best fit for each. So to say "winner gets Associate, runner-up gets 2nd" is not necessarily the case.

3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Nothing unusual or surprising in that rep list, to my eyes.

I have seen a lot more obscure.

Knowing what t is like over here, a job like that is going to attract many of the big guns, if you have to think about whether you should enter or not, it's quite possibly not worth it. If any of the music gives you even the slightest feeling of "gulp, that's hard" - don't think about it. There are going to be guys there who live and breathe these pieces and run through the excerpts daily, "just for fun."

Saying that, working for auditions is a great way of disciplining yourself to play consistently, it might be worth working up the repertoire anyway, even if you are not going to take the audition this time (there will be other jobs down the line with very similar lists)

4. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    Saying that, working for auditions is a great way of disciplining yourself to play consistently, it might be worth working up the repertoire anyway, even if you are not going to take the audition this time (there will be other jobs down the line with very similar lists)[/quote]

Yes. I am not going either, buth agree with this. I did that last year with the Met audition list and it does help your playing a lot

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    B15M,

Thanks for posting that list. It's a great list. I'm going to work it up just for the sheer fun of it and I recommend that as a project for anyone who isn't planning to audition BUT with competent instruction from a pro who's been around the block.

What that list says to me is that they're looking for someone who gets that list and is excited by the prospect of playing it in front of people. It has to be a pro in another orchestra or a freelance player with a good, solid background of basic musicianship and is a product of someone with a major studio.

So, let's get busy: Get out your Arban's, Aaron Harris, Sachse, and Top Tones.

When those go well, start your excerpt engines. None of those will sound any good without BASIC MUSICIANSHIP as your guide.

ML

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Well here is some honesty:

They tell you exactly what to play for the first round and I know the stuff and can play it well.

They also tell you exactly what to play for the second round and I can play it.

If I were to advance past that I would be in trouble so I'm not going to audition.

I understand how some one like Manny can know all that stuff but I can't understand how any body could have all that stuff polished. I guess that level is some what above me for now.

I sent the résumé to N.Y. because I sent Manny a CD and he sent back a reply that got me fired up, so I'll stay fired up and keep going. Just not to N.Y. for now.

7. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    It's good to be honest, but at the same time remember: nothing ventured, nothing gained. You may as well do the taped prelim option and see what happens.

By the way, finals aren't until February. Get your chops going really well, and do a lot of listening - you might find yourself in better shape than some other people taking the audition! I heard they've received over 450 resumes in application for these spots, incidentally.

Why not give it a try? If you advance, you're certainly not wasting anyone's time.

8. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I agree with Bob, and at the very least you could go see how your 1st round measures up to everyone else.

9. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    If you can make it there............ ;-)

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.

Are you going to audition or are you associated with the symphony?

I can do the first round in person. I don't live very far away. Maybe I will send in the application and see what happens.

I read somewhere that Phil Smith was turned down to just audition at a couple places and went to Chicago and got the third trumpet job right out of college.

Thanks for the support.