New York Philharmonic Audition

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Oct 15, 2005.

1. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    B15M,

I am planning to audition, but I'm not in the NYP. I play in the Charlotte Symphony (we make a little less $ then the guys in NYC!). :lol:

But I've certainly backed out of more auditions than I've taken. That's just how people are. Only you can decide if you're willing to put in the effort.

2. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Hey, look at the bright side: It's a long list, but at least you don't have to deal with the Ravel Piano Concerto (the bane of my existance)! I just found out that it's going to be on the Tanglewood list again this year, time to get the Dr. Beat out...
    -Jimi

3. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    I might be wrong, but the person that's going to win this is going to have all of that rep, save a few pieces, under his fingers and in his past already. I know that my teacher has been playing principal trumpet parts continuously since the 70's. While it would take work to get them into audition winning condition, a person like that would start out miles ahead of other candidates.

4. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    you are 100% right, they already know it. Not only that, but I heard one guy that was a recent finalist say he doesnt even look at the stuff until a few weeks before so he is fresh musically.

That is what I call playing at a high level.

5. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    I feel you, Jimi. However, I think one had better be ready to go with the Ravel anyway! :lol: