Newbie bought Olds Ambassador on EBay

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Wendy Haylett, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Wendy Haylett

Wendy Haylett New Friend

Jun 14, 2008
  2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Looks to be in pretty nice shape, so the price is reasonable. Even though many people say to buy an older, Los Angeles model, I think the later Fullerton ones like you bought are a better choice for most people. They're usually in better condition, they accept a standard cornet mouthpiece (the old ones don't), and the 3rd valve finger ring operates the 3rd valve slide (again, the old ones don't). Enjoy your cornet!

3. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Looks fine, enjoy!

4. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    $150 and you've got a cornet! Well done. 3 to 5 tanks of gasoline.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Ah yes, the gasoline standard. Forget the gold standard - we're on the liquid gold standard now.:lol:

I just bought a Connquest cornet on eBay for one tank....

6. Liblip

Liblip New Friend

Mar 29, 2008
    Well done Wendy! I'm a former sax, piano, and drum corp bugle player who's been playing a 1974 Fullerton Olds Bb trumpet for the last six months. I saw it in a pawnshop and paid $200 for that and the original case, a Bach 7c, a mute, and the cleaning kit. (I'm using a 3c now.)

Congrats and best of luck with it! -Ed

7. zkfan

zkfan New Friend

Jan 25, 2008
    Michigan
    Your Ambassador appears to be in great condition. If the pictures show the worst of the wear, you should be very happy! Congrats on your win!

8. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    Hi Wendy,I just picked up my first cornet on Ebay last month and I am glad I did.Love that nice mellow tone of the cornet.Looks to be in great shape,enjoy.

9. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Hi, looks like a good cornet! My 73 Ambassador is of the same vintage as yours, I was surprised at the condition of the lacquer do to most Old's lacquer problems that I have seen.

Great playing horn. Mine''s lacquer and body condition is similar to yours with the same case. I lucked out and found mine locally on Craigslist for $50. I have used a Bach 5C(came with horn), 10 1/2 c and currently the OE Roth MP from my Roth cornet. Enjoy! As you probably know, the type of cornet MP can greatly alter the sound quality and playing characteristics.:-)

10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

To follow up on my good friend Dave's comments per his Olds Ambassador cornet, I just won the bid on another like Ambassador from an on line auction site for $43.xx, including shipping. The pictures look great, but, I will know more after I get to spend some time with it. As you can tell from Dave's response, as well as mine, we found much better prices than you did. Maybe it is because some folks take pity on us who are advanced senior citizen trumpeters.

OLDLOU>>