Newbie - Comeback player Greece/Norway

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by Kima, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Kima

Kima New Friend

Oct 29, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    Congratulations on this friendly forum!
    I have only recently become aware of you, when I decided to buy a new trumpet and take up playing more.

I used to play a Bach Mercedes 1 back in my school brass band in my childhood Norway, until the critical age of 18 when you have to decide on being good or being embarrassed...
    I quit, but I never forgot, and the last years I have taken up playing a little on a Blessing scholastic cornet bought at an auction.

Now I am the proud owner of a Yamaha 4335 GS, very much thank to you good folks, - despite my initial prejudice against anything other than American brass! It proved the best combination of price and quality, and I am very happy with it!

Looking forward to hanging out here with you all - learning and maybe at some point be of a little use myself!

2. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Very welcome to TM, Kima!

Looking forward to talk to you as well!:-)

3. johnMak

johnMak Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2008
    Ridgecrest CA
    WELCOME!

I too, used to play in Highschool for 2 years. but then life took over and never played again till recently I saw a trumpet in the thrift store, I tryed to make a noise and it sounded good enough to buy it and start learning.

I took lessons for a short time and now I practice at home thru the method books...book one...book two...

Went out of town and bought another method book set. book 1, book 2, with the CD accomp...

I'm not 16 anymore that is for sure, over 50 is more like it. But not retired as yet either.

4. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    If you stick with it you're going to be very pleasantly surprised at your progress and how you measure it, now that you're not 18 and anxious and prone to mpc pressure and all the pitfalls of the young, and how quickly you can find yourself associated with local pros who will WANT to help, WANT to play with you. These guys appreciate the dedication of comeback players more than most any group. They can only imagine what might have happened to them if they had quit playing for years on end and there you are, a hero to them! Enjoy the ride.

Ed
    www/myspace.com/jazzlips

5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Congratulations on your choice to play again and on your purchase of a very nice horn...the first of many, I'll bet. :-)

6. Kima

Kima New Friend

Oct 29, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    Well. I was particularly encouraged by the story of some pro (forgot who), who didn't figure out his embouchure until he was 40! - So I guess there's hope for anyone... I should probably get a teacher,but don't feel much like it, so I use the "a tune a day" series (like the combination of pieces of music and routines), try to recall and recreate what I was taught (had some good teachers at some point), and when I am really stuck I have an old friend coming to my rescue. - Like when I had problems with my sound on sounds like d-e-f , while I could quite easily reach the high g. A few days with looong notes proved to be a good help! Actually I think long notes was not such a big thing when I played in the late 70's - early 80's...
    Mouthpiece pressure - my experience is that if you practice enough it improves a lot even for me that always had an issue there! - What I am proud of though, is that I at least don't have any urge to reset during playing!
    As I don't know many brass players here, I' m looking forward to playing pieces for trumpet and piano. That makes nice music too!

7. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Hi, and welcome to TM!

Just curious; where in Norway were you located in "the old days"?

8. Kima

Kima New Friend

Oct 29, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    Small town north of Tromso. Biggest challenge and reward was a couple of week-ends with Trevor Ford and the new invention then, regional brass band!

9. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
  10. Kima

Kima New Friend

Oct 29, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    Thanks for sharing! Det var morsomt, - han var rundere i ansiktet da jeg lærte 7/8 takt av han!