Newbie from York. United Kingdom. Help require Please.

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by Tanker, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Tanker

Tanker New Friend

Jan 6, 2017
    Hello Guys.
    I am pleased to be able to join a Trumpet forum and hopefully make some friends from all over the globe. I live in the Ancient City of York in the United Kingdom and I am hoping to get back into Trumpet. I have just turned 63 yrs old and I was brought up on trumpet from the age of 8 yrs old, My grandfather who was 3 times British Army bugling Champion taught me Trumpet and also Bugle. I played Bugle in various Cadets and then joined the British Army, Tank Regiment. (Hence the username) I later became Regimental Bugler, after my army service I went on to play Bugle in various Television & Films when they wanted a Bugler. I am now Lead Bugler but a very limited Side Drummer in a Military Band, I have decided that I want to go back onto trumpet, Its been many many years since I blew Trumpet but being a regular Bugler I have kept my lip in. I am using a 3c and a 5C Trumpet Mouthpiece in my bugle but mainly play on the 3C. with going back to trumpet (although its been many years,) I don't think I need to go back onto a beginners trumpet BUT I am now very undecided which horn to purchase, I am stuck between the John Packer JP152 and the Thomann 400 or the 500L so I am now looking for your advice. Great to meet you all.
    Lee.

2. Gendreauj

Gendreauj Piano User

Aug 26, 2013
    Metro-Detroit
    Welcome to TM. Are you looking at new or used trumpets and what is your budget? Have you played any of the above mentioned trumpets?

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Welcome to TM, and greetings to Yorvik!

Forget the low-end Thomann thingies. They are ok for a few months or a year, if meticulously cared for, and then the valves fall apart. If you're tight on budget I would suggest a vintage Olds Ambassador - well-made trumpets that are far better than their "student trumpet" image. Or go for a 600-series Jupiter.

4. Tanker

Tanker New Friend

Jan 6, 2017
    Barliman. Thank you for your advice. I will have a look at these two models. This is why I joined the site so I could get advice from people in the know, Thank you again.

5. Tanker

Tanker New Friend

Jan 6, 2017
    Hi Gendreauj.
    Sorry I did post a reply but I don't think it posted onto the page. I have not played any of the mentioned trumpets, I whittled it down to these 2 because they seemed to be the best that were recommended within my budget range of new trumpets, and being out of the trumpet sphere for so long, I am completely ignorant to used trumpets what is good and bad. my budget is £210:00

6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Antalya, Turkey
    I would recommend you to make your own search on the internet (ebay and alike) and post your findings here.

You most probably cannot get wrong with any:

Getzen
    Yamaha
    Conn
    Olds
    Selmer
    Besson if it is british made (as opposed to instruments made in India) - however this applies more to brass band instruments like flugelhorns and cornets

as long as they are in good working condition, even if the cosmetics are not perfect.

7. Tanker

Tanker New Friend

Jan 6, 2017
    Trumpetnick.
    Thank you. There are loads of horns on ebay but I have no idea which are good and which to avoid.. I will have a look at the ones you mentioned but there are so many models to choose from gets confusing.

8. Gendreauj

Gendreauj Piano User

Aug 26, 2013
    Metro-Detroit
    Do you know any trumpet players from your local area? Maybe they know sources for trumpets? Are there any music stores nearby and a local craiglist?

9. Tanker

Tanker New Friend

Jan 6, 2017
    Gendreauj.

I don't know any trumpet players around here, although I have lived on York a few years I wasn't doing anything in music over them years and I moved here from a town over 100 miles away where I grew up so unfortunately I know nobody. the only music shops that we have here are Banks Music and Gear4music. and I have never heard of a craiglist ?? what is that. pardon my ignorance

10. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Antalya, Turkey
    Tanker, most models of the brands I mentioned are good begin with. Some are better than others, but most would do the job.

What to look for (avoid):

Red rot
    Big dings
    Unsoldered tubes or bracings
    any valve related problems (ask for a photo of the valves)
    dings on the valve casing
    patches

Of course, it will be more secure to buy a horn that you can try - a local seller, but that would be rather difficult.
    Buying online is always a risk, but a seller that has 95% or higher % of client satisfaction is likely to give you a honest appraisal of the horn he sells.

I just remembered, that community orchestras are a big trend in UK. Why don't you look for one around, they may even give you a horn for free. Large music shops may also give a discount on horns and horn rentals for community band musicians.