Newbie Low notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Lou765, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Lou765

Lou765 New Friend

Jul 12, 2010
    I am wondering how low a trumpet plays and sounds decent. I am a newbie and I can play below middle C to a low G/F (Concert) using 1X3 and sometimes get an E but anything else sounds like motor boat noises. I would like to be able to get a D but cant manage one so I am wondering if its a waste of time or if there is hope with a special fingering or gadget I buy from Ron Popeel (inventer of the pocket fisherman)???

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
  3. BackInHanoi

BackInHanoi New Friend

Jul 18, 2010
    I can certainly see him lowering the horn to get the low notes, but would there be any other changes he's likely to be making to his embouchure?

4. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    Turning out your lower lip, while not beneficial to your playing, generally will make pedal tones easier to produce. However you should use your normal embouchure to produce the pedal tones if you want the benefits.

The benefit to the use of these notes, in Claude Gordon's words will, if properly used:

- Correct your emboucher.
    - Give you great command of your instrument.
    - Give you more power and fluency.
    - Aid your attack and sureness.
    - Develop better vibration.
    - Bigger sound in ALL registers.
    - Develop endurance.
    ~~
    They also, according to Jon Spaulding, who wrote 'Double High C in 37 Weeks', stimulate blood flow throughout the lips.

5. Lou765

Lou765 New Friend

Jul 12, 2010
    Thanks for the replies and great info.
    The video is the inspriation I needed !!
    Anyone have a finger chart for these lower notes as mine only goes to the F#/E Concert below middle c so that is part of my problem???
    Ok Is this where I am supposed to use a valve slide?? I know nothing about them yet??

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  6. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    The pedal tones (notes below F#) are the same fingering as the notes one octave above (an octave is eight notes).

Trumpet and Brass Playing Sound Files Featuring Claude Gordon and Jeff Purtle | purtle.com

Listen to the Wind Power lecture for a demonstration of a range study by Carl Leach and on the first lecture Mike Paulson demonstrates a range study too with pedal tones.

7. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    Say Rowuk, what was that tune he was playing right before he went into that fast fancy finger work, I beleive it starts on or about 0.22 or 0:23

Thanks

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hey, this should be apparent. Andrea is Italian. It is the theme from "The Godfather". You know, violin cases and concrete slabs chained to your ankles........

9. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    Ahhhh.... Yes!! Dammmm that sounded so familiar!! Been along time since I heard it.

Thank You :play: