Newbie no more!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I've been playing trumpet now for about 2 years (and gotten alot of great info from TM). I think I'm finally going to stop considering myself a "newbie". Here's why...I feel like I've finally gotten things to click to a certain level. If any of you are runners, you know how after awhile you seem to break through that wall that's always there. You have that one good run where everything's good and relatively easy at the level you're at. And the next run and the next run and so on are past the wall too, so you know it wasn't just a fluke "good run". Then you're onto bigger and better walls so to speak. I think I've achieved that. All of a sudden my sound is much bigger, airflow much better, lips not giving out, fingers working great. What a rush!

I thought I'd give a little of what I've done, which for me at least has really helped, in case anyone else is in my situation (new to trumpet, full family and job to worry about before even thinking about practicing, no $ for a teacher).

- I usually practice literally for 2 or 3 minutes at a time (unless I'm working on an etude of course). I do what I think is a good practice (from what I've learned from vets on TM) but 2 minutes at a time. play 2, do something else for 15, 20, 30 min, play 2, etc. But when I practice those 2 minutes I try to totally concentrate and focus on exactly what I'm doing.
    - Tons of lip slurs of all kinds
    - Weekly "checkpoints" with various etudes and to build up endurance
    - Tons and tons of chromatics
    - Tons of scales
    - Basic Caruso at least twice a week (I don't understand why something so simple can be so helpful, but it seems to work great)

These seem to have helped me quite a bit. Anywho, thought I'd share a little. Carnival of Venice (at 1/4 speed) here I come!

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

The goal of practicing is to improve on something, not just to play. I feel that is WAY to short of a time to practice, at least do 10 minutes at a time if you have little time. 30 - 60 minutes is best. I really think you should practice more than that.

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    It's great that you have found some success with the trumpet. Now don't stop, increase your time with the horn, work on sound along with technique, and move forward. Limited success is great but I am not sure we ever or even should be happy with where we are. We can always learn more and become better musicians.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    2 minutes???????????? what ever happened to long tones??????????????????? ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    You try keeping up a long tone for 2 minutes.

--bumblebee

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    What? You cant?

KT can do many things with his asymmetric mouthpieces....

7. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    I myself prefer a more humble approach. I've been playing since 1984 with some lost time throughout the years, but always looking forward to improving with good practice habits (breathing, playing all the dynamics and much more). I'm yet to see or read an article of Maynard, Miles Davis or Doc say they only practiced that day for 2, 3 or 4 minutes. LoL I'm interested in hearing Rowuk's advice here.

8. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I wonder how you can practise a 10-minute passage even once through in just a couple of minutes? One aspect of practice is to develop stamina/endurance.

--bumblebee

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  9. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I want to hear that you have practiced just 3 things every day.
    1. tone
    2. tone
    3. tone
    Do it for a month. I'm not kidding.

10. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    So then, that would be one minute for each item? That would increase his practice time by a third.