Newbie no more!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, Jan 11, 2012.

1. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    Post a video. Lets hear your stuff.

I am the same, been playing over 2.5 years, totally self taught, never had a lesson.

I practice first with long tones in low c g then c, then work up the chromatic scale then spend about 20 minutes on scales and appregios, i know all major, minor, (just cant practice scales that go above F sometimes G on top really annoying) most blues scales, and some middle easter sounding ones (flat 2, and 6, they are cool), then ill play about with some of the songs ive learned, then ill do long tones again and then try and reach high notes, push my range not so much up as hold them and make the tone right, a f or G on top (thats as high as i can go so far).

But 2 minutes sounds like not very much to me, ill go for about 15/20 then rest for 5 maybe 10. If i didnt need to rest id never set the thing down at all!!!

2. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    Caruso is helpful for the same reason that playing in a band every day is beneficial. Forces the chops to work on command. REAL CHOPS. Not theoretical. A solid usable High C on command on the bandstand far more valuable than a squeaking DHC.

That said there are a couple of matters you may not realize:

Caruso works best (and only) if you have no major embouchure flaws. Defining these flaws is not well understood within much of anything ever writ in the brass world. This doesn't mean the concepts involved are complicated. It just means they haven't often been described. If instead a person practices Caruso while his chops are used in a manner that significantly fights or is at odds with physical law? They will always fail to have a decent register and endurance. Tone can be severely compromised as well.

Plus we have seen a considerable number of Caruso practitioners whom while having good register (even and often surpassing DHC), seem unable to get much volume in the upper register. In fact I might even go on record as saying that this group is probably in the majority of those Caruso players who develop "good range". They will deny this of course and I don't want to name names. Unfair but it should suffice to say that one of the most recognized Caruso teachers (whom i know personally) can not play a High F that can cut through a sax section with any authority.

"Squeak artists" Reinhardt called these types and the truth hurts I suppose. They are not to blame. More a reflection of the liabilities associated with a brass playing system that ignores physical law.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  3. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Thanks for the great info everybody! Just to clarify, I never practice for literally 2 minutes TOTAL for the day. I probably end up playing a total of 30 mins, maybe 60 - 90 on weekends. Just everything is broken up into 2 or 3 minute micro-sessions with lots of time between, maybe throwing in a 5 to 10 min session for mini-etudes or whatever. And then yes, maybe once a week I'll pull out the etudes and work on endurance. I just thought it would help some other new players to know it IS possible to make progress with limited means so to speak. And of course I make no claims to be some kind of great player, far from it... I just know I'm way way better compared to myself when I started.

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Satchmo, can you play without having to take a break in between? If not, then start bumping your times up to 5-7 minutes. You will get a lot more out of your practices if you spend longer then 4 minutes practicing at a time.

5. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Physically yes, I could. But logistically, not usually. Something's always demanding my attention. So I resigned myself to these micro-sessions. I guess the upshot of why I posted was for other new players to know if you stick to the fundamentals, even in these micro-doses, you can make pretty good progress. Do I wish I was back in college where I could sit in a practice room for hours on end and make way more progress? Absolutely. But hey, at this stage in the game I'll take what I can get.