Newbie question on valves

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by timleona, Jan 11, 2008.

1. timleona

timleona New Friend

Jan 9, 2008
    I just got a Blessing XL-TR for Christmas that I'm using to return to the trumpet after 40 years away. I played the coronet in school and don't recognize 2 of the valves attached to valve 1 and valve 3. I've attached a photo from WWBW catalog with arrows pointing at the valves. I assume they are to lower the pitch under some conditions. Can someone advise me?

Yes, I will be seeking out an instructor soon.

Thanks much!
    Tim

Attached Files:

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Those are not valves. They are tunable slides, used to correct some slightly sharp notes in the scale. At one time, these were the mark of a pro horn. I learned to 'lip' those slightly sharp notes downward without the aid of a first valve trigger. My horn did have a third valve slide ring for that same function,though. It was a 1929 King Silvertone trumpet that was actually pretty close on intonation without any extra effort on my part being needed.

Good luck on your comeback.

OLDLOU>>

3. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Yup. Kick 'em out for middle C# and the 3rd one for middle D. Your ear will guide you as to how much, little, any, one, or both.

1st line E might like some as might 1st space F.

4. slybootz

slybootz Pianissimo User

May 20, 2006
    get some slide grease and get them cleaned up

5. jfernandez

jfernandez Piano User

Dec 10, 2007
    N.C., USA
    the tuning slides, are mainly used when the third button is pressed, like when playing low D, or Eb. they are slightly sharp, and the tuning slide should be pulled out to fix the problem

6. AngelofMusic

AngelofMusic Mezzo Piano User

Jan 31, 2008
    Actually it's a common misconception that the third valve tuning slide is used for everytime you use the third valve. The third valve slide is used on Middle C# and the D just above that. The first valve tuning slide is used for the E just above that D, the A above that, the C# above that, sometimes on the F above that(if it's sharp), and the A above the staff.
    Those notes are in order from lowest to highest.

OG