Newbie tone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jude, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    1) Ok, I've been working the tongue, this will be ok. Tiring, but ok.

2) I'm going to have to do some remedial work - I can't hold a steady tone with the mpc. It was like this with the horn when I first started - the needle on the tuner would slowly swing, back and forth, past the desired pitch then back again. By now it locks in pretty well - with the horn. The mpc is even more slippery - I have a hard time keeping it on the right note screen, much less within ±15 cents. (I knew there was reason I didn't want to buzz.)

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Don't worry too much about pitch when buzzing the mouthpiece - for now. It is easier to get the right pitch with the horn because it locks in your buzz to a specific pitch. The harmonics of the instrument enable this.
    Forget the tuner and just concentrate on making a round, full sound with your buzz. You can pull your tuning slide out and buzz the mouthpiece on the leadpipe as well. This will yield a firmer tone that you can try to improve on.

Go back to the bathroom and practice there for 15 minutes, doing long tones and Clarke exercises at low volume. Focus on hearing a good tone and you will. Play into a corner of your other room(s) to help you hear feedback of the sound coming out the bell.

It is not just your lips and air that need training - your ears also need it. They can mislead you into hearing something different than the sound you are producing. So listening to trumpet recordings is very insightful and can help you train your ears to know what to expect. The physical act of playing can interfere with your hearing because there is internal feedback inside your head (like with speech) which mixes with what comes out of the horn. As your playing develops your brain will learn to cancel the internal feedback out. Knowing what sound to expect from recordings helps this process.

3. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    That's something I've been wondering about - I've read that singers are dependent on vocal coaches to tell them when they're doing it right, and have to learn to associate the physical sensation with what they're told is the correct sound. So I've been wondering whether having the end of the bell a foot away from the ears is enough so that a trumpet player has a good idea of what he actually sounds like. I've tried noticing whether when I'm behind the teacher's bell and then in front of it there's a difference, and haven't noticed much of one, but it's such a small room maybe it doesn't count. So I'll go practice in the bathroom (which should be a lot easier now than when I was a kid with 3 sisters).

4. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Put the tuner away when you are playing. You need to learn to tune by ear, and it's not as important when you are practicing by yourself, IMHO. At least not at first. The tuner can become a real handicap if you rely on it to tell you when you are playing each note in tune. Just my 2 cents. :)

5. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    Ditto to everyone!!! Put that tuner down for now!!! You've gotta get your mechanics in working order, and then you can fine "tune" things later. Especially when you're doing mouthpiece buzzing, wow, I can imagine you WERE having a hard time keeping it centered. You just want to get a good fat buzz sound on your mouthpiece and within the general area of pitch (so that it sounds right to your ears), but keep at it. If you're like me, you'll eventually have fun with the mouthpiece, but I understand your hesitance.

6. Smithi20

Smithi20 Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2007
    London
    Hi there, I think it´s really important to just concentrate on sound. Spend some time without notation, tongue excercises, in fact, the minimum you need to be thinking about at all, just producing a sound! Think through your lips, out through the horn, and imagine the sound you are aiming for, enjoy this process to the extent that you are not worrying or considering any other aspect of your playing, just concentrating on making a beautiful abstract sound..... go on, treat yourself!

7. Smithi20

Smithi20 Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2007
    London
    Eeviac, keep goin´! It took me 15 years to gain control of the "doublebuzzing".... by the way, they´re called harmonics!

8. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Hm, this isn't harmonics, it's just a crappy sound, because it's like 2 parts of my lip are buzzing, does that make sense? Harmonics might sound cool, but this doesn't lol.

9. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    Hmm, I seem to have struck a chord here...

Ok, ok, the tuner's out - I wasn't trying to hit a given pitch as much as keep on one pitch. And it's helping (so there) - today it was a lot easier to restrain the arrow's movement: biofeedback works! My ear's not good enough at this point to pick up the wavering I can see with my eyes. I'm not working on intonation, just muscle control. On the other hand, if it's really not necessary, so much the better. I think this may be a good excuse to get one of those nifty keyboards.

Anyway, I see one good effect from buzzing the mpc already - anything out of the horn sounds so much better in comparison. Tiled walls don't do nearly as much for mpc buzzing as they do for trumpet playing. The difference is really amazing, with the horn. Unfortunately, inviting people to come hear you play in the bathroom is probably the height of amateurism, right?

10. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    You are probably SO LOUD in there that they can hear you from the building across the street. :)

About wavering pitches, how about trying to bend it ON PURPOSE? I find that if I am doing something accidentally, it gets easier to control if I can do it on demand instead.