Newbie tone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jude, Feb 12, 2008.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Jude,

I'm with you - a Comeack player with unpleasant or non satisfying tone. The solution for me was posture, breathing, practising louder than you might normally (try and borrow a Church hall or something and play in a big room), and at address - final step - relax.

On top of all that, the comment that brought me completely undone from my Band Director ...
    "It takes 2 years to make a fighter pilot, but at least 5 years to produce a competent musician." and this from a bloke who thinks one of the few differences between community players and professionals (apart from natural talent) is the amount of practice we are able to fit in.

Ted;-)

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The difference between the pro and the non pro is rhythmic. The working pro has a sense of timing or groove that infects everyone around them. It gives music a stability that semi pros can get close to but never quite reach.
    I know a lot of pros that fight with their chops and tone like many other levels of players.

3. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Wow Rowuk, more words of gold. I'm a real newb, anything I play sounds like someone's going to a funeral. I was very eager to show a friend this little jingle my Mom made up when I was a kid, and got it down pretty smooth, and he said, "Sounds like you nailed it" hehe.

Swing sure matters!

4. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    Today's discovery: what specifically to relax - the jaw muscles. I'd read in Jeanne Pocius' book about dropping the jaw, even using pieces of eraser between the molars to keep the mouth open, but it didn't seem to make any difference (I didn't try the eraser bit - there's usually no one around to perform the Heimlich manuever). Then, while trying to match my tone on the little French horn to the sound on the recording this afternoon, I noticed that was what I was doing to make it work. So I tried it with the trumpet, and it helped.

I'm going to get the Essential Elements for trumpet and work on simply copying the sound - listening to Mendez and Sandoval and trying to sound like them overall is too advanced - I'm going to try slavishly copying long tones and simple exercises and treat imitating the tone as the main point. (And to think of all the times I told my son "Open your mouth and don't mumble!")

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Jude,
    I tried the eraser between the molars - it taught me to open the back of my throat a bit and helped with sound production, but unless you can get rubber that tastes like, say beer, then I wouldn't revisit this. Relaxing the jaw a bit does help as long as the embouchure doesn't suffer. I applied the relaxing process based on something overheard at the local driving range whilst I was having my golf clubs mended (I'm a better trumpeter than a golfer, but you can learn from almost anyone if you can find a way to apply the suggestions). The local pro was teaching a very atractive 40 year old lady to play golf and he said to her - just let your grip relax on the club (trumpet) and everything else will naturally follow including the breathing - funny though, I still can't get a tune out of my clubs.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ohh Sorry,
    Were you all being serious?

7. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    We were doing better at it than usual until somebody brought up beer-flavored erasers.