newbie, tryinbg to record trumpet but sounds flat.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by grandnoise, Jun 22, 2012.

1. grandnoise

grandnoise New Friend

Jul 31, 2009
    Hey so I have been learning trumpet for the last year, self taught and it's been a bit on and off due to moving around and work commitments and stuff. So recently I have been asked to play trumpet for a friends band and he sent me some recordings but whenever I try to put something to them it sounds flat. I've tried tuning my Trumpet to a tuner and I'm playing as close as I can. Could it be my trumpet that's the problem?

It's and Amati Kraslice ATR201 any ideas for a newbie.

I'm planning on getting a few taught lessons sometime soon, it's just a matter of time and money at the moment.

Cheers guys, any help/tips is greatly appreciated, Jimbo.

2. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Could it be the recorder?

3. grandnoise

grandnoise New Friend

Jul 31, 2009
    I doubt it, it's a digital interface, should be pretty much the same going in and out.

4. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Then is your horn in tune before you play? If it is, try making yourself a little sharp.

5. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    Have you tried tuning to the recording? Groups are almost never in tune with a tuner.

6. grandnoise

grandnoise New Friend

Jul 31, 2009
    I have been tuning to a tuner on my computer using the same microphone I'm using to record is this sufficient? I'll check my tuning again next time I'm going to record and see.

7. grandnoise

grandnoise New Friend

Jul 31, 2009
    I'm also pretty sure they're in tune as I know the guitarist is very anal about these sorts of things. Cheers for the help and suggestions guys. I do really need to find someone who can help and teach me first hand really.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've never known a guitarist that could recognize the tones of a trumpet. Too, the MIDI link to computer sound support and usually provided speakers aren't the greatest to judge tone by.

9. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Well, I might say "trumpeter, heal thyself" but that sounds a little righteous. In any case, you have given us several grains to peck at: self-taught? If ever there was any advice to give to a beginner, it is to get the lessons right away--not later. Later and the bad starting habits become ingrained and harder to get rid of. Amati? Isn't that an Indian or Chinese knock off? I really don't know, but in your case it could also be the horn hat is doing you a dis-service. Ditto whatever mouthpiece you are using. For all of these things I would find a teacher right away. Good luck!

10. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    Regarding lessons where are you located and about self teaching trumpet it is not a good idea period.