Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ai_Dygress, May 29, 2005.

1. Ai_Dygress

Ai_Dygress Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2005
    IL
    Thanks Tootsall, I appreciate all that :D

Have you guys used the "SmartMusic" (I believe is what it is called) program? I downloaded it on my laptop and got a mic. Seems kind of interesting, and I believe they have the Canadian Brass stuff on there.

Just curious what you think of it, if you've even heard of it?

2. Musician4077

Musician4077 New Friend

May 23, 2005
    Essexville, MI
    I've used the Smartmusic program before, and I think that it's a really cool idea. While it isn't all it's cracked up to be sometimes (it doesn't follow you as fast as maybe you're lead to believe, there's a small switch over time), I thought of it as an awesome practice aid. I wish that my version would have been more than the trial run CD that my band director gave me! As for the Canadian Brass, I'm not sure if they have stuff on there yet, but I do know (and highly recommend) their books. I've spent many happy hours playing from their Intermediate solo book, and have even performed some for festivals. Playing with a CD can be so much more fun than just by yourself. Also, do you have many recordings? I could recommend some of my favorites if you like.

You're in Evanston? Sweet. My brothers went to school at Northwestern, and one still lives in Gurnee. I'll be there in about 25 days for my Northwestern Music Institute. Maybe you can come to a concert!

3. Ai_Dygress

Apr 1, 2005
    IL
    Lemme know when it is. I would love to come see the concert!

I have been attempting to get what recordings I can from iTunes ( I won alot of the "free" songs over the Pepsi promotion heh) But don't have any actual CD's. I would love to know which recordings are peoples favorites.

I am going to check out the music store about a block down from me to see if they have any of the easy/beginner stuff to work with on friday (pay day) if not, I found their website that I can order from.

Am still contemplating getting a subscription to the "Smart Music" thing.

The roommates will be gone in a couple of weeks and thus my practice schedule can be more than "Hurry before they show up, cause they are annoying passive aggressive people," or "Damn, why are they up until 5am and still sleeping."

Eh well, live and learn heh.

Chris

4. Musician4077

Musician4077 New Friend

May 23, 2005
    Essexville, MI
    I'll let you know as soon as I myself know for the concerts :lol: ! I won't find out until I get there and audition.

Here's a list of my favorite Canadian Brass recordings that I own, and a little about why I like them. Now, please remember, I am by no means an expert on them, nor in any way an expert on trumpet (I'm only a Junior in high school now). I just love these recordings for being pretty sweet.

1. Greatest Hits - Title says what it means. These songs are some of the most popular of the CB's repertoire. "Fanfare Albason" coupled with "Trumpet Voluntary" is sweet, and "Hallelujah Chorus" sounds as heavenly as Handel would have wanted it. Bach's "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor" by brass? You gotta hear it to believe it. Some other non-classical stuff is fun too.

2. More Greatest Hits - again, the name speaks volumes. More awesome classical coupled with swingin' jazz. There seems to be a Gershwin theme to this one.

3. Bolero - MY FAVORITE BRASS ENSEMBLE CLASSICAL ALBUM (right now. these things tend to change from time to time). I listen to this thing almost all the time on my iPod (I notice you mentioned iTunes. Gotta love Mac products :D !) .

4. A Canadian Brass Christmas - In my opinion, one of the best holiday CDs on the market of any genre. The best track is "Ding Dong Merrily on High". I listen to it all year. For some reason, Brass + Organ = Mindblowing WOW.

5. All You Need is Love - The tribute to the Beatles. Didn't like it at first, but it grew on me. Don't except direct transcriptions. Listen to it as new music, not expecting what you've always heard.

Those are my favs right now. I've got a few others, but haven't listened to them enough to say much about 'em. Anyone else got any comments? I myself would be interested.

Just a note on other recordings of possible interest:

Like jazz? Arturo Sandoval's Trumpet Evolution album is one of the most amazing things I've ever heard. How can he sound like so many of the trumpet greats? It's so not fair. :think:

Like classical? Wynton Marsalis' London Concert recording is good for some nice concertos and his Classical Wynton is a sweet mix of different solos (Prayer of St. Gregory is beautiful. After hearing it, I hunted the music down and recorded it with my mom, our church organist. There's that Brass + Organ equation again :-) !)
    For ensemble classical, yet another organ and brass CD is the Empire Brass' Baroque Music for Brass. This cd is always in my player, and I recommend it most highly!

Whew. Well, that should give you some tunes to listen to for a while if you so wish. Sorry for such a long post, but I love these cds! :cool:
    Let me know what you think, and if anyone wants to put their two cents in, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Jeff

5. KJaeger

KJaeger Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2004
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Ai:

You may also find there are community bands that are quite welcoming of players at any level, even beginners - for example, our community band has players who range in ability from music educators and players who would be good enough to "go pro" if they wished to, all the way to folks who hadn't played an instrument in 30 or 40 years and are trying to pick it up again. The band is a purely volunteer community activity with no auditions, and we welcome anyone that wants to join in (remarkably, we can sound quite good on even challenging literature despite such a wide range of abilities).

Since you were and have been a musician and are just trying to learn a new instrument, I bet you could find a community band or musical group that would welcome you as you are finding your way around the trumpet. Its a great way to meet other folks with whom you can make music and have some fun while doing it.

6. Ai_Dygress

Apr 1, 2005
    IL
    Yeah, I just need to find a band to do that with.

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to look around Evanston for a community band then, because I figure there is one around, at least on the North Shore, just figured I would need to be able to play first.

We shall see.

---

Thanks for the list of recordings! I'll check into them as soon as I can.

I was also a big fan of the Dirty Dozen Brass Band, heh. Some really cool stuff there.