Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misthosg, Mar 24, 2015.

1. misthosg

misthosg New Friend

Mar 20, 2015
    Hello all,

I am a low brass player (Tuba/Baritone) that has just recently ordered my new trumpet. I couldn't afford to spend that much on an expensive one,so I purchased a student horn. Along with it i purchased a Bach 1 1/2 C mouthpiece. I just wanted to introduce my self.

Thanks,
    -George

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  2. Davidcat

Davidcat New Friend

Jan 22, 2015
    Hello , I'm recent here too. Great human forum.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Welcome to TM, George and Davidcat!

Mike

4. Jazzy816

Jazzy816 Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    USA
    Welcome to TM! By chance do you know the make/ model of the horn you purchased? I'm always interested in what people invest in horn-wise. I read that you are a low brass player. Obviously you know how to play a brass instrument, but I am guessing you don't have much, if any, experience on the trumpet. You purchased a 1 1/2C mouthpiece. Trumpet-wise, that's a relatively large cup diameter. I know low brass mpcs are much larger, and it may have seemed like the best choice to go with a large-ish mpc for trumpet. Maybe you got a professional opinion, heck I don't know. Regardless, the most common "starting point" mouthpiece in trumpet land is the Bach 7c. It has a significantly smaller cup diameter than that of the 1 1/2c which helps with a lot of aspects of the instrument while you are within the learning phase. As you said, you do play brass so you aren't starting from 100% ground 0, but trumpet is different than low brass. I've played a tuba and trombone a few times. Could I get a sound out? Yeah. Did I have to do some drastically different stuff with my embouchure? Yep. Just keep this stuff in mind as you are learning! Best of luck in your endeavors, and congratulations on joining the family of the best instrument ever!

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    There is a lot of us here that were once just like the two of you. Welcome to wherever and whatever TM is. Only when the baritone plays in treble clef, the fingering is the same as trumpet. I also play a euphonium (not compound), just an old Conn Artist and use a 6.5 AL with it rather than a 12C.

6. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Welcome to TrumpetMaster! IMO coming to trumpet from low brass would make it easier to take advantage of a mouthpiece the size of a 1-1/2C. I knew a trombone player who tried to make the transition to trumpet and couldn't make a sound on the 7C his instrument came with. I loaned him one of my 3C's, and it made a slight difference, although he did sound like a ruptured duck. He was a good trombone player, but he never could get the hang of the trumpet and sold it. The trumpet is a much more difficult instrument to master than anything else except possibly a French horn. A mouthpiece should be chosen to fit the player's embouchure, and heated discussions about how this is to be accomplished abound. I say work with what you have, and, most importantly at this time, find a competent teacher to guide you and help you to avoid developing habits that can constrain you in the future. I wish you success!

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh sure... if you can find one here. Welcome to TM where we are all superhuman, well at least all of us except for Kingrumpet. You'll soon understand.

8. misthosg

misthosg New Friend

Mar 20, 2015
    Hey Jazzy816,

Sorry for not responding as i haven,t checked the forum. However i bought an Etude ETR-100 student trumpet. Yes its a cheap horn, but so far I am pleased because the valves are nice and the tone is very nice. I just began playing it today and to be honest, i played MUCH better on the included no-name 7c as opposed to my Bach 1 1/2 c. I was able to get a better tone and hit the higher notes much easier. I wish i would have bought a Bach 7c.

Thanks,

-George

9. misthosg

misthosg New Friend

Mar 20, 2015
    Hello J. Jericho,

I actually preferred the no name 7c mouthpiece that was included with the horn as opposed to my 1 1/2 c. I got a much better tone and was able to hit higher notes. I am probably going to stick with the 7c.

10. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    ...which goes to show that everyone's embouchure is different. I'm glad you were able to compare and find a mouthpiece that suits you. Happy playing!