News on Clark Terry's site

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dupac, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    I was a know it all teenager way back in the seventies when I turned on the TV one night and there was this guy ripping through a solo. "Not bad," says I, but then he turned the horn up-side-down and kept on going. "HOLY SH**!!!" I knew the name Clark Terry from then on.

2. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    CT has always been a huge inspiration to me. He was the first Jazz musician I saw in concert and met, and his playing contained so much joy! The world is a sadder place without him. Celebrating his life listening to as many recordings as I can today.

3. Vega Power

Vega Power Piano User

Dec 9, 2011
    Florida
    When in high school in '79 -'80, It was my great fortune to chat with, be mentored by, and play a bit along with this great man when he was in Duluth, MN, judging a high school jazz/big band competition. Talk about priceless memories! God speed, CT.

4. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    R.I.P., Clark. You influenced all who knew you and all who knew of you.

5. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Of all the people that had the greatest influence on me, Clark was and still is one of the tops. I remember when I first heard him with Oscar Peterson and I said to myself "Oh my God, How did he do that and I gotta learn it, I gotta have it!"
    Clark is an immortal and I am blessed to have had the opportunity to be on Earth when Clark was here. There's a pay-per-view called Keep On Keepin' that's currently being played that tells the story of Clark.
    Dr.Mark

6. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    I just heard of him recently, but, man did he sound good. May you play with the angles, Mr. Terry. :-(

7. kinetic711

kinetic711 Piano User

Sep 15, 2014
    North Eastern Ont, Canada
    I just watched this the other day!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUCpWGkIeAE
    Bless you Clark and thank you for all of the music.

8. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Just saw the news report on NBC Nightly News. Its so nice to see a legend in his own time recognized in his passing. I specifically remember him from the Tonight Show. Best wishes Mr. Terry.

9. AK-tpt

AK-tpt New Friend

Sep 6, 2012
    At one time the University of Denver’s Lamont School of Music hosted the National Trumpet Symposium. It was modeled after the Clarinet Clinic also held there.

As a student there in the 1960s, I got to be exposed to and to meet a number of top players who came in various capacities. One of those was Clark Terry.

It was my charge, one day, to provide transportation for him to where he would stay while at the Symposium. Off we went in my little green-apple green 1960 VW Beetle sunroof with all of its 36 horsepower.

I had some time to talk with him. He told me about how, when a player’s embouchure gets tired, the player can reset the mouthpiece to the right or left: get tired again, place it on the other side, all to keep on playing. He taught me how to take valve springs and decrease the stiffness of them and make them feel lighter without making them weaker – to temper them.

In later years, I’d go up to the Robin’s Nest on Lookout Mountain in Golden to hear him when he came there, or elsewhere, and he always recognized me with warmth which I was glad to return.

He made all of our lives much richer.

10. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    RIP Mr. Terry