next Saturday: Wynton! Take yer kids!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gregc, Feb 4, 2006.

1. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Next Saturday I'll be taking my 10 year old daughter and her 2 cousins into the Rose Ballroom in Manhattan to see Wynton and the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra. They occasionally put specials on 'for the kids', and this is one of those, entitled "Who is Count Basie". I think we're ALL gonna enjoy it!
    I think it's important to take yer kids out to things like this. I remember, as a kid, my Dad making sure I saw Woody Herman, Buddy Rich, Lionel Hampton, et al...... I take my kids to jazz, classical, and rock shows. I'm fortunate that we all enjoy music.

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Good for you, Greg. I took both my kids (and wife!) to see them when they came through Calgary. The kids (especially my son) loved the show and the wife even admitted to enjoying it.

Now their school is sending them on a band trip out to Victoria and Vancouver where they'll take in a concert by the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra. They're really hyped about that.

We often don't give our youth enough credit when it comes to being able to listen and enjoy some of the music that we tend to "think" is only for older, more "sophisticated" folk. Turn 'em on young and turn 'em on for life.

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hey Greg,

I believe the BASIE BAND will be at Carnegie Hall next week too.

-cw-

4. Spitty

Spitty Pianissimo User

Oct 3, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    that's beauutiful Greg - when I have kids I'll be doing the same. Good for you.

Have fun!

Cheers,
    Jason