Next step: Recording youself

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Feb 21, 2014.

1. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I have been told by the first trumpet in my Wind Ensemble that things are progressing nicely for me. He said that the next for me is to start recording myself to listen to the way I sound and start to refine and work on specific things. I tried with microphone and my lap top and it was awful. I really hope I do not sound like that. Even worse the sound would cut-out, I think because the PC just can not handle the dynamics.

What sort of set-up do you use to do this? Thanks your any advice.

BB

2. govtmodel

govtmodel Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Rhode Island
    I use a Zoom H4n. The H1 is very nice, and costs less.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I also use the Zoom H1.

But you're computer might work if you don't play directly into the microphone. As you suggested, it can be too much sound for the device to handle. When recording at home, I usually put the Zoom H1 off to the side or behind me.

Mike

4. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    I use my smart phone's video camera. That way I can notice visual things, like could my breathing be better? my posture? Are my shoulders relaxed? Etc.....

5. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I also record playing into the room with the microphone off to the side. You get a much more realistic representation of the actual sound being produced that way. If you are using freeware like Audacity to record, copy the track you just laid down, reduce the volume considerably, and then put reverb on the second track. it makes your horn sound like it's in a concert hall.

6. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    I use a PreSonus Audiobox 22VSL preamp/USB interface and an MXL R199 ribbon mic. This all goes into my MacBook, and either GarageBand or Logic Pro X depending on what my plans are for the recording. All told, between the interface and mic with cables, I'm under $300 total investment. The 22VSL comes with free DAW software if you don't have anything else to use for tracking.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We do not need an "optimal" trumpet sound to make the important value judgements when listening to recordings. Even the worst recordings give us an indication if we are properly prepared, breathing in the right places, have enough reserves for the musical climaxes. Tone quality is learned much faster by simply playing in a really good sounding room like a church hall or something similarly large.

8. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    I use a Shure Beta 58 with a M-Track Card, it works but the sound is not so great, a Zoom is the best thing.

9. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Thanks for the advice.

The thing I have the most difficult time knowing how it sounds are articulations, such as double or triple tonguing. It sound OK as it reverberates through my head but who knows how it really sounds. I do ask for feedback from my practice buddies and they say it is OK. But, it is nice to hear if you are achieving what you are striving for,

BB

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Agreed.

I think the OP wants to record himself as a practice tool. For this, he can use almost anything, including a smartphone or his laptop computer.

Some of us are also giving advice on how to make better-quality recordings, which is good advice, too.

Mike