Next step: Recording youself

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Feb 21, 2014.

1. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Yes. exactly. I just want a practice tool but I have tried my phone and computer but it sounds horrible to me. I would enough quality for and accurate representation.

BB

2. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    That's good advice, Mike. I do much the same thing as well. I have the MacBook Pro with GarageBand. I use a Blue Yeti mic and I only have it at 25% level sitting off behind me and a little higher than I am (not sure that matters much). The Blue Yeti mic is exceptional and gives lifelike recordings. With the level set that way, there is rarely any distortion, and because it's behind me there's nothing blaring right into it. When I sing into it I can hold it right in front of my face, and it's a different story all together, but we're talking about Trumpet playing here, so that is what I recommend.

3. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Another useful tool (if you have an iPhone or possibly another smart phone) is the memo recording app. This records as much or as little audio as you want, and it time stamps the audio file created for use later on. This is nice for benchmarking and tracking your progress.

4. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    BB,

The purpose of recording yourself, given by your fellow trumpet player, is for you to hear how you play and then work on your style of playing. I found that recording myself was humbling at first, but then realized that I needed to change the way I played. It works! I do use the Zoom H4N, but then I record our community band rehearsals and concerts too. You CAN use any recording device. From what you described, yo may have been too close or the recording level was too low, and you were playing above the stops.

Hope this helps.

Gary

5. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    BrotherBach, you could always check out some cheap USB microphones from Guitar Center or Best Buy. These simply plug into your computer, and are better equipped for handling the SPLs that a trumpet can dish out. Also. As Gary pointed out, you may just have to back up off the mic a bit. Or maybe focus on playing softly.

6. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Thanks, I will start looking for these devices.

BB

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    To diss a computer recording is to express your absence of computer technology vis much is dependent on the quality of the sound card in the computer and the quality of the mic you plug into it. A consumer computer sound card seldom meets this criteria, but a media computer is better and yet there is a reach for the utmost quality.

8. thomasando

thomasando New Friend

Aug 1, 2013
    Qld, Australia
    I use my iPhone to record practice sessions. I do not play straight into the microphone. I usually put my phone upside down on my music stand (so the mic is pointing to the ceiling). It does an ok (not brilliant) job at me being able to identify things that need work. I use an app called 'audioshare'. Free, integrates with dropbox.

If I need to record something 'properly' then I use a Presonus audiobox 22VSL into Presonus StudioOne DAW (comes with the audiobox unit) on my PC, using either a Shure SM57 mic (usually my gigging mic) or a Neumann u87 large diaphragm condensor (though I mostly only use the Neumann for recording vocals).

I find though that for general use just for my own reference, the iphone is adequate.

If you're overloading your mic (it sounds distorted, clipped, or cuts out) then either drop the gain/sensitivity of it if you're able, or back away from it until it sounds clean. A trumpet is capable of ~130dB (or more, for some!) close to the bell...

9. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    I bought a Logitech USB microphone. Cost what . . . $30 or $50. Can't recollect.

Though my computer speakers, sounds close enough for jazz ;-)

10. indigoblue

indigoblue New Friend

Feb 5, 2014
    I sometimes do this and like the others said it sounds better if your mic is off to one side. I usually also step back a couple of feet away from the computer. I record myself playing songs for some of my younger students to play along to. When I do this I use an equalizer to balance out the high, mid, and lows to make it sound less blaring. If its just for me to critique my own playing I don't worry about doing any of that fancy stuff. If you are worried about the sound quality there a bunch of free audio equalizers you could download and use.