Next Stop for the Wild Thing

Discussion in 'Horns' started by slimshady, Nov 11, 2004.

1. slimshady

slimshady Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2003
    The horn arrived Wednesday. Seeing that all I do is play trumpet all day...I've had plenty of time to test it already.

I'll prolly give a more in depth review sometime next week. For now I'll just say this.

Have no doubts. Its a very nice horn. It is free blowing to the extreme. But don't think it is just huge and hard to play. Its the opposite. Effortless response. And the tone is big, dark, phat.

The upper range is the most open of any horn I've ever played. And that doesn't make it harder....atleat for me. You can push a little air and get up there or you can blow your brains out and it never pushes back. I can't imagine someone being able to overblow this thing. I also noticed that the higher notes do not thin out when compared to my Bach 43

I was told that my bach sounded thin and airy compared to the wild thing. I really didn't want to hear that....and I don't totally agree with the statement. However the wild thing is darker than the bach. To me the bach has that bach core and I feel very free with it. The Wild Thing has Kanstul core and slots harder meaning feeling less free, than a bach atleast.

It really reminds me of every Kanstul that I've owned. Just a really great player. The wild thing just has an even bigger sound with the same Kanstul core. and the upper register is way too easy. It didn't give me extra range but it made the range I have easier and more solid.
    Again same feel as my other Kanstuls.

Right now I'd pick this horn over any of the Kanstuls I've owned.

I'll letcha know what I think after a few more days.

2. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Is it still possible to get on the list for this horn tour?
    Thanks,
    gregc

3. Greg5850

Greg5850 Pianissimo User

Jan 10, 2004
    WI
    What mouthpiece do you use?

Just curious about your equipment-what m-piece do you play? Did you try more than one on the Thing?
    I had the horn a couple of stops ago and I bought one. I loved playing it because it made everything seem so easy.
    Greg

'78 Bach Strad Lt 37
    Courtois Flugal
    Burbank pic
    Soon -Wild Thing !
    Bach 1 1/2 C, Warburton 6 series

4. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi Greg,

Sorry, I wish I could slot you into the WT "Wild Ride Tour," but the horn was in New York in the spring and is currently winding its way out west with only a few stops to go!

You can check out all the reviews people have made on the horn inside this "Horns" section. Initially the tour had a dedicated area on the TM site to make viewing the reviews fast and easy but that went away when the site was streamlined.

Most people have never played anything but a production-line horn and we wanted people to see the difference that Flip's many hours of enhancements and adjustments to each specimen do to make 'eem play as they do!

Needless to say, people are usually totally amazed how easy it is to play the horn in all registers, how well it slots, how even and consistent the blow is throughout the registers, etc. We already knew this but we wanted others to experience what we meant.

This was a one-time thing we did . . . and we took quite a risk sending out for testing but everyone has been great and Flip and I have really appreciated the fair and honest reviews! When the tour concludes sometime around the first of the year, over thirty TM regular posters will know the differences.

Please feel free to contact me though for more information on the horn. We might be able to hook you up with someone in your area who is already a Wild Thing owner who would let you check out his/hers!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner
    US rep. for Flip Oakes Wild Thing trumpets

5. BrassClass

BrassClass New Friend

Apr 2, 2004
    I think it would be a great idea for Flip and Tom to have a drawing of all the participants on the tour and give the horn to the winner. That would be an awesome ending to a great tour! Has there been any dissussion about the future of this wonderful instrument? I see lots of possibilities here!

6. slimshady

slimshady Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2003
    The Wild Thing is gone now...and for those of you that care I will post my final thoughts.

It was a fun ride. I was able to test the 'thing' in a few different playing situations and in many different rooms.

I liked the #1 slide the best and I played it about %85 of the time I had the horn. The 'thing' went up against my Bach 43 LR and a MR Eclipse.

Tone/sound- the tone was very much like every kanstul i have played. there is a kanstul sound and the wild thing is no doubt a kanstul. the 'thing' is bit more diffused or darker. actually quite a bit darker than my 1500B. Very powerful in the upper register although not real zippy for me. I found it easy to sustain notes and play lyrically.

Slotting- slots like a kanstul. also some room to move around but not so much as my bach. upper register is very open so i guess that means larger slots within that register. i found it easy to get around on the horn and slurs were clean.

response- the response was easy. i felt that it took little effort to make a sound on the horn especially considering the size of the 'thing'. but it did take quite a bit of air to light the 'thing' up. i put a ton of air thru this 'thing' and it took every ounce. BIG sound with a lot of effort.

mechanics- the valves are kanstul all the way....ofcourse. which can be a really good thing. just depends on whatcha like. i like the feel of my bach valves however the valves on the 'thing' are shorter (i think) and they are easy to play quick lines.

tuning- i thought the scale was very even. the tuning seems to be the same as most kanstuls i've played....like the slotting.

hmm...thats all i can think of for now. i'd be happy to comment on any other areas of the horn if you can help me think of what i've left out.

my overall opinion of the horn is that it is a nice horn like most kanstuls i've played. i think it is fairly versitile depending on the player. for me it would be a great 'kick back relaxed jazz soloist horn'/ and I would definitely use it for symphony playing. I personally wouldn't use it for lead playing but I know people do (alan chez comes to mind) and it works great for them.

I'd say this is a great horn but it might not work for everyone. As with any horn you should prolly try before you buy. On the other hand if you play one 'thing you've prolly played every 'thing'. Kanstul means quality !