next trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hugohorn, Nov 1, 2004.

1. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004
    Wow. Bert never told me they have kansuls at hornhaveni thought they had Stromvies, Marchinzuits, and some others.

-TD

2. RichN

RichN Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2004
    UK (Mids)
    hugohorn,

If you're interested, I'm selling my Getzen 500 for a lot less than £550. I think this is equivilent to the Omega, it isn't as good as a Strad, but certainly isn't completely embarassed by them! PM me if you're interested. Where in the UK are you? I'm on the north eastern outskirts of Birmingham (Sutton Coldfield).

Also, two of my band coleagues picked up Strads for that kind of money (£450 and £550). OK they're pretty tired looking but they still play well. You could try Andy Taylor (taylortrumpets.co.uk / .com), John Packer in Taunton, Phil Parker in London or John Myatt near Bedford.

Either way, good luck.

Rich.

3. hugohorn

hugohorn New Friend

Nov 1, 2004
    Cheers guys, you've been really helpful. Will kkep an eye on ebay to see what comes up. I guess the only problem is you buy before you play, which is OK if you know exactly what you are looking for!

Thanks again for your thoughts.....much appreciated.

HH

4. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    You can add Leigh McKinney (Eclipse Trumpets) on to that list - he has got a number of quality second hand instruments that he has taken in part exchange. Having been up there last week, I know he is out to sell off a number of them.
    Worth going up there anyway - an amazing place

5. RichN

RichN Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2004
    UK (Mids)
    Like Mike said. A fascinating place and a very nice bloke. Just don't play one of his trumpets unless you're prepared to buy one. You'll be tempted to sell relatives to afford it!

Rich.

6. hugohorn

hugohorn New Friend

Nov 1, 2004
    proffesional .......sounds scary!

Further to your comments I have been watching Ebay like a hawk.....you guys in the US have so much choice!! Question..should I be looking to get as much trumpet for my money, even if the instrument is above my standard at the moment, or should I only step up to the next available model in the range.
    Are Strads, Schilkes, Benges etc very hard to play (in comparison to mid priced trumpets), or do you feel will they could actually help my development through the shere quality of the instrument. I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers HH

7. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    For close to a $1000 US you can get a lot of trumpet. The Blessing ML1 comes to mind and it is as good as a Bach Strad in terms of intonation and sloting etc..... It does not project quite as well. Last I checked places like music123 had them for $729 I think these are grossly under rated while the Bach line is grossly over rated etc......Bach has not been what I consider Bach since the Mt. Vernon trumpet facility went away when Bach was sold. Some Strad's sing while other's barley manage to stay out of their way which is why so many Bach Strad's are always for sale. People find out once they get them that their is no magic in them!!! Bach Strad's also seem to have more valve problems then any other trumpet in that price range!!!!! Obviously I am going by only the little chunk of the universe I see so take it for what it is.

I have heard quite a few great sounding college Trumpet player's on of all things Jupiter Tribute serioes that have sounded great and those are usualy in the $1000 price range.

I would venture that a good place for you to look for a good deal on a used trumpet up to the standard youa re looking for would be closer then you think. I do not know how it goes in the U.K. but in the USA large Universities are full of students that are usualy upgraded with borrowed money. So they usualy have to many of what ever they are into. So computer geeks have to many computer part's, band major's have too many instruments be it trumpets of trombones etc..... I would probably go to the nearest University or COnservatory and talk tot he band teacher and post a wanted to buy on the corkmessage board. More then likely you will be able to find what you want at a decent price that way. The other way to go is to hit local "pawn shop's" around the University or consignment shop's. For ever great trumpet player their is always a few that can not cut it and switch their major. Now need to keep more then one trumpet if you are not majoring or minoring in music etc.......So they sell them for cash.

The next way to go is to ask other musicians at the various club's you play at. Usualy someone knows someone that is looking to sell their old instrument if they recently upgraded. It is always best to try before you buy!

Germany has some great trumpet factories. Call them and ask them if they have any specials like custom order that was cancelled. Sometimes if you take a tour of the factory or visit it they will sell directly to you for less then you could buy from a dealer. I lived in Germany for 12 year's and I made more trips to factories to get discounted prices then I care to admit. I even had Adidas custome make fit me for wrestleing shoe's useing their stock paterns from regular sizes. So it is semi custom. I paid exactly what I would have paid if I had bought them off the shelf in regular size instead of semi-custom fit. I have bought top quality crystal pieces for less then 1/2 retail price also factory direct. I could go on but you get my point. The worst they can do is say no!

At this point I would try to play as many trumpet's as you can get your hands on. I would not worry about the name just how it sounds. Getzen 490 and 700 series sound great for some people but not so good for other's. It is the sound you are after so let that be your guide not the price tag or someones opinion. My opinion is not going to be on stage with you!

Case and point I have a $128 1968 Reynolds Medalist that sounds like a pro horn and works great for Jazz since it has a slightly darker timber. I doubt that most of these Medalist sound this great though! I just got lucky and got a better then average one. Happens with everything from car's to women sometimes you just get lucky and get more then you paid for. On the other hand every company has a few lemons role of the assembly line too no matter if it is Mercedes or Toyota or Bach etc..... This is why I think you should play as many as you can get your hands on and definately play the one you intend to purchase! Never buy a professional level instrument with out playing it first. At the level you are talking about little things make all the difference inthe world it is not like ordering a kid a Holton Student horn off ebay!

Good luck and I hope you find a great deal on a trumpet that is everything you are looking for!

8. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    If you're looking for a good light weight one, you may want to consider a schilke.