Nice flugelhorn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bumblebee, Nov 24, 2013.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    There have been other flugelhorn threads, but none started by me I think, so that makes this one different.

Back in June I tried out an Adams flugelhorn and a B&S flugelhorn and found them different to one another, and both different to what I felt I was looking for. This weekend I played two Yamaha flugelhorns - a Bobby Shew model and a 631G. Of these two, the 631G was really nice and very close if not just what I think I'm looking for, while the Bobby Shew model wasn't. (I should explain that what I'm looking for is something I think would please my wife, given the songs she hears from time to time that she says she likes. I suppose that doesn't help you - but think warm+mellow and not too loud.)

From time to time I read hard-sell messages on this site about the Kanstul 4 valve 1526 flugelhorn. If anybody is familiar with this horn as well as the Yamaha 631G can they comment? Given the 631G seems to be very close to (or exactly) what I would like, are there are any other brands/models which I might consider if I come across one?

Thanks,
    --bumblebee

2. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I'm pretty sure the Jupiter 846 is a copy of the yamaha, if you can find a newer one it might be worth looking at. That said, even though Jupiter build quality has improved by leaps and bounds in recent years, I still haven't played one that I would seek out to buy yet....and that's just personally. I've played some that were quite good, but none that have me the itch to buy, if that makes sense. So, maybe look into it, but if the yamaha is exactly what you want, just buy that.

3. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    If you like the Yamaha and want to save (quite) a few $$$ consider the Austin Custom Brass Doubler flugelhorn. New with case and mpc for around $500.

4. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
  5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    PM me with an email address. I'll send a couple of my mp3s playing the Kanstul 1526. Kujo recently fell in love with this horn as well. To play it is to fall for it.

Kanstul not only has a great taste in flugelhorns, but also for people they choose endorsing this horn: Kanstul.com

bumblebee likes this.
  6. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Yep. I'm stuck on the Kanstul 1526. I've owned the Leblanc F357 (copy of the 1525) and a Carol Brass, and I've tested quite a few different brands of flugels, including high dollar items such as Taylor. But out of them all, I'm picking the Kanstul. As soon as my Taylor sells, I'm ordering one. I can't wait!

So if you get a chance, at least try it. See how you like it. Chances are, it will pass your test for warm & mellow.

Kujo

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Bumblebee,

To me there are two distinctive sounds, depending on the make of flugel. One gives a rather mellow, compact, more focused sound, where the sound is sound is more immediate or responsive than the other type. I think the Shew is in this category. The other type produces a much wider, less dense, less focused sound- what I refer to as a fluffy cloud or foggy sound. The sound is a little less immediate. Kanstul 1525 (or 1526 with 4 valves) is a prime example. By the way, the 1525, though expensive is a little less than the 1526. The horn plays so well in tune is only need the trigger on a couple of notes. Doc likes the 1526 ( you know those wealthy MDs :-) , so if money is an issue and you go for a Kanstul, the 1525 will do just fine).

Just personal observations.

8. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I like Steve's distinction between smaller/focused and bigger/wider sounding flugelhorns.

And Gary ... we stand in the presence greatness. Nice pic! :-)

Mike

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Kujo, Before you buy your 1526, PM me when ready. I will put you in contact with my Kanstul sales person that I bought my 1526 from in Cincinnati. At the time I bought that horn, WITH TAX, the 1526 cost me $2,995, all at a time when the 1526 was listed by Kanstul at $4,025, and on Musician's Friend at $3,750 new and much less than the 3 valve 1526 that was listed by Kanstul at $3,500 at the time and $3,250 on Musician's Friend new. People seem to forget that while having an MD, I am employed as a University Faculty, not as a physician. I have to shop for bargains as well.

10. feedback@stomvi-usa

[email protected] Piano User

Jan 24, 2012
    Newhall California