Nice flugelhorn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bumblebee, Nov 24, 2013.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I had a Kanstul CCF 925 that I absolutely loved, and at this point I kind of regret selling. Very sweet playing flugel - smoother and silkier than a 631G. It's less money than the 1525, and IMO should be strongly considered. There is also the Chicago model from Kanstul, but I decidedly didn't like either of the two I tried several years back when I was looking to get a flugel. It boiled down to either the Yamaha or the 925, and I picked the Kanstul - there was just something about it that I liked.

Here's a recording of me doing a duet "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" with it. My recording technology was pretty low-budget at the time. I recorded this in GarageBand with an SM57 and a Blue Icicle XLR/USB converter - not even a proper pre-amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y4nRAlYdIA

2. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    It would appear that the American lack of taste extends beyond fashion and into Flugels. :cool:

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    If that was offered in lacquer I might have looked into it. As it was the ACB is insanely good for no more than it costs. It's not the Kanstul 925 that I had, but it isn't that far off either. Pretty much every benefit of the Yamaha 631G without the price tag.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Nice recording Patrick.

Mike

5. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    bumblebee likes this.
  6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Nice playing; but still, it's a sound I would be able to produce on trumpet or cornet. For me, a Flugelhorn must be near a French horn in mellowness. And it's not supposed to be "silky"; for me, a Flugel has to remind everyone of nice cuddly and woolly teddy bear...

7. piccolomaster

piccolomaster Pianissimo User

Jan 23, 2008
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Doesn't the 4th valve lowers the pitch by a Perfect 4th???
    I have a Getzen Eterna 4 valve Flugelhorn and on my horn
    the 4th valve lowers the pitch by a Perfect 4th.:roll:

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I was wondering when someone was going to mention the Getzen .. I wasn't in love with the valves. I felt the tolerance was really tight and any off press would seem to catch ( for some reason I get a little sloppy with my fingering when I play flugel) ... but sound wise and playability it might be what you are looking for. Gmondy use to play on one and I am sure he can give you some thoughts on it as well.
    I thought the Kanstul almost sounded like a french horn in the lower register by the way. Too bad you hadn't visited Horn Guys sooner, that's where I tried it. By far the most resonant and mellow flugel I have ever played but I also know it's not everyones cup of tea. I felt that the horn resonated with very little air so it might give the feeling of playing stuffy to some.
    I think the Yamahas are generally more bright and feel more like a trumpet.
    Some of these lower priced flugels do sound pretty nice and the intonation is acceptable. My only issue with them is the feel of the valves. They seem a little clunky. It's not a big deal I guess if you don't play them alot as in a section for a big band but for solo jazz work I think it would bug me after awhile.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I still use my Getzen Eterna 4 valve and it depends on the valve combination as to how the pitch is lowered. Intonation is fabulous on this horn. I do still play it and prefer it to the Kanstul for more uptempo flugelhorn numbers primarily due to the dexterity of this horn over that of the Kanstul. From my experience, the valves are lightning fast. It does slot a bit more loose in the upper range than my Kanstul.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    That really is nice playing. I have an SM57 microphone and know that you can lose some of the overtones depending on where the mic is placed. I would almost bet that the horn has alot more low frequency overtones then were picked up.