Nice flugelhorn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bumblebee, Nov 24, 2013.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I thought the 4th valve was to be used instead of the 1-3 combination..yes?
    Let me quantify. .. the valves were solid.. fast.. I just had an issue because they didn't like me.

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Hi Dave,

that was a good trip to The Horn Guys - first time ever playing a flugel horn - and now I've had a go in Oz, but I think I'd better find and play a few more (or the same few a few more times) before I know for sure. It'll be a few (or more) months yet before I can safely consider buying a new horn given I recently (and very unexpectedly) plonked my savings down for a Martin Handcraft Committee which came to my attention.

I actually thought both the Adams and the B&S flugels sounded a bit "deeper trumpety" or "cornet-like" rather than "fluffy+mellow", but then I wasn't a practised flugel-player... I'm looking forward to tracking down a Kanstul, and perhaps trying the Yamaha 631G again.

Last weekend I also had a brief go on a pBone plastic trombone. I sounded terrible using a trombone mouthpiece (which surprised me since I used to play euphonium 20+ years ago) but pretty good using my trumpet mouthpiece. This might be an indication I will have to unlearn a lot of things before I can be a proper judge of a new (for me) type of horn.

--bumblebee

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Hey Bumblebee why not try a Yamaha 631G? Everybody has their own pet favorites, but if the 631G found you, then get one. Down the road you might find something else you like better, and making our own discoveries is way more fun than taking people's word about different horns.

Have fun!

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Hi VB, well the 631G is certainly in front, but I've played only 4 models in total so far (tyranny of the small town where I live, far from a big city) and so I'll keep my powder dry for a little longer yet while I save up.

--bumblebee

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Yes. The Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn 4th valve is equivalent to 1st + 3rd valve, and lowers the pitch by a perfect 4th.

Mike

6. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    If you are looking for a French Horn sound, my Getzen 4 valve Eterna does a pretty good job (and I played French Horn for eight years in a local Symphony... it was my instrument of focus). WhenI use it in my church orchestra it sounds like my old Farkas model horn. Really. I use a 10 1/2 A flugel mouthpiece on it which is pretty similar to a horn mouthpiece. I would still like to own a nice French flugel like a Courtois somewhere down the road for a more precise and smaller sound. The Getzen has a trumpet bore of .460, and the flugel bore should be around .430 or lower for that traditional "flugel" sound. In the end, it is your money and your preferences which matter

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    D - 4 = 1,3
    Db - 4,2 = 1,2,3
    G - 4 = 0 (low G bridging to peddle tones)

Then the bridging notes continues toward peddle tones where valve 4 is compressed with the usual fingerings
    Example: F - 1,4; E - 1,2,4; Eb - 2,3,4; D - 1,3,4; Db- 1,2,3,4

Then C peddle tone is reached - 0

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Dave, that's pretty much it on the head - I had always given thought to re-doing that recording with a better setup as my home studio stuff progressed and got better (would LOVE to do a recording on a ribbon mic) but just never got to it, and the truth is, I wasn't really disappointed in how it sounded.

Barliman, there is no way you could really reproduce the sound of that flugel on a trumpet. Maybe a cornet, but I doubt it - the bell isn't huge, but it's big, and it's 100% copper, which gave it a really dark, warm, mellow sound. Almost every other flugel I've played sounds brassy by comparison, but then again, I've never played on a Kanstul 1525 or a Conn V1 - I wouldn't ever go any more expensive than that considering that I don't really use the flugel as a solo instrument, and either of those would probably be overkill anyway.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh... but what a way to go!

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Patrick. I agree that the list price on Kanstul's sight for the 1525 and 1526 is on the high end, but I was able to get this horn through an agent I met at a trumpet hang and saved quit a lot on the 1526, hundreds of dollars less than Musician's Friend discounted price. If you ever are back in the market for a 1525 or 6 PM me and I will put you in contact with the distributor based out of Cincinnati.