Nice, now I have to worry about this?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 9horn, Oct 26, 2014.

1. 9horn

9horn Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2009
    New York
  2. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    that's SOME focused advertising!
    It reminds me of the permission forms I have to generate to send home with my students when taking them on a field trip... for example to a festival: half of the docment outlines the various injuries and methods of potential death-risk they have while taking a bus and playing their instrument! Terribly morbid documents just to get the kids out of the school.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nothing to worry about! We are free to read whatever we want, accept or reject suppositions of others, create strategies to deal with our personal state.

It seems that all of the the studies are from at or before 2008. Is there perhaps some law that lets others steal after 7 years?

In any case - a challenge: what level of education do you need to even determine if the study is bogus or not? If the research is sound but the results biased, if the power of suggestion creates problems that do not exist.

I deal regularly with musicians that crash and help them get a life. This is the last type of site that I would send them to. They simply do not have the background to know better.

Cyberchondria is one of the major dangers that I see in lay people reading doctor speak.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    The "Performing Arts Medicine" movement has lost some momentum in the past few years. That may be why you're seeing most articles before 2008.

Absolutely.

Look how bad we deal with all the online trumpet information out there. (BTW, I read online that if I practice with zero pressure using a Bagle X40 mouthpiece, I can complete the 20-Minute G exercises in 2.5 minutes. Is this true??)

It's that much worse when we rely on Dr. Google to keep us healthy. I regularly have to re-educate the patients I see in the ED, who are confused or biased by what they read online.

That being said, it might be a nice website. What would make it better is to include an expert/authoritative synopsis for each article.

Mike

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Hey TrumpetMD -- where did you find out about the BAGLE X40 Mouthpiece?--- I Googled it and couldn't find one----- I will check the ACME MOUTHPIECE SITE ---- and ask "What's Up Doc?" BAGLE X40 MPC -- perhaps Marvin the Martian or Bugs can help me find one --- ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    The ACME mouthpieces might be even better. I think they have one that's anvil-shaped. (Not recommended for Coyotes.) ;-)

Mike

[​IMG]

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    that might be a good way to hammer the notes home -- I will GOOGLE that, thanks for the information --- ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. Smrtn

Smrtn Pianissimo User

Sep 18, 2014
    If I listened to what people said about drinking coffee over a period of ten years or so, I wouldn't know whether it was good or bad. I just ignore 'em, grind up my espresso in the morning and enjoy it.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It wasn't Bagle or Acme, it was HITMAN!
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f136/not-sure-if-one-has-made-79115.html

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The nice thing about being a pseudoscientist is that I don't need to worry myself about "facts" or "truth."