Nice side effect.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dburn, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Dburn

Dburn New Friend

May 21, 2010
    I used to get a painful split lip every four weeks or so, then I picked up the trumpet back in May 2010 after having not played for 25 years.
    Since then, not one split lip. I don't know if it is the daily rubbing with a Silver mpc, the lip flexibility exercises, increased blood flow or what. BUT I LIKE IT!

2. tjer52

tjer52 New Friend

Nov 24, 2009
    Yeah, all of the above probably helps.

3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Some people find the opposite effect. If I play too much for too long, I tend to develop a "fever blister". So, you are on the fortunate side of that curve.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The hormone balance in your body was considerably different 25 years ago. I suspect that is the major difference here.

5. katie-did

katie-did New Friend

May 8, 2009
    Oh, I now have a split lip and don't know what to do about playing ! I went from a very warm climate to a freezing one, obviously didn't do the right lip care, sadly, so got horribly dry lips and now have cut / split. It's horrid ! I've been playing through it for a few weeks, but my tone ( which I was quite proud of ) has now totally changed and isn't nice - so I stopped a couple of days ago and am just continuing putting lip salve gunk on and hoping it heals. Any advice / ideas ???

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Years ago, I subbed for the trumpet player at an upscale wedding and split my lip so bad that I bled ... all over a borrowed white dinner jacket belonging to the guy I subbed for. I did finish the gig and the guy didn't want the bloody jacket back. I sent it to the Dry Cleaning Institute and then for only $50.00 when I got it back, it looked like new. I've worn it several times since.

Found out later that the guy I was subbing for had tried to start his own orchestra and had committed to both gigs, but preferred his own. I was offered his, but declined ... probably for the same reason then that he had decided to try it on his own. The lead was always tenor sax and the spot was just back-up harmony and they toured the tri-states, PA, WV, OH on an old converted school bus, which I was told often broke down, and they stayed in the cheapest motels. I then had a decent day job and just wasn't in to such touring. Well, about 3 months later, the tenor sax lead got drafted and that band became defunct. Possibly he re-organized in heaven as he was killed in the Korean Conflict. I saw the hulk of their old bus sitting behind his parent's barn just three years ago.