Nice to be back

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Juarez-MA, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Juarez-MA

Juarez-MA Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2012
    Hello, my people.
    I've been out sick for a few months.
    Glad to be back around sound trumpet players.

I'm shopping around for trumpet mutes for some students. I know what I have but I would love to know what else is available; I'm not in great condition to play comfortably yet. :(
    I'm looking mutes that will adapt easily to pop/jazz types of music and classical as well… maybe emphasis on classical there. If you know what the intonation and response of your suggestions are, that would be nice to know too.

Thanks,
    Mark

2. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I don't feel qualified to opine on your mute conundrum, but I will welcome you back, sir.

3. Juarez-MA

Mar 14, 2012
    If you have mutes, you are qualified to tell me about them! :)
    And thanks for the welcome. :)

4. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Welcome back, Mark!
    Jim

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
  6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    BTW Welcome back

7. Juarez-MA

Mar 14, 2012
    I got her more advanced in her studies. She is playing in a junior symphony and is starting to play musicals. So I was hoping something more mature; she does get invited to play with my colleagues sometimes now.
    I always recommend the H&B for my younger students. I may not like them but I value their timeless standards.

8. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Well, I currently own 2 - both from Tom Crown. One is a Gemini Copper Bottom Straight Mute, and the other is a copper Wah-Wah.

Both of them are beautiful mutes. The craftsman ship and attention to detail are excellent compared to other mutes I've tried. The wah-wah came with a healthy dose of grease, and I've had no issues with the stem. Also, you get a personal touch of customer service when dealing with Mr. Crown, and I like that. The mutes are a bit pricier than others, but I love the sound of both of them.

The copper bottom straight has a warm and very pretty sound - not sure how to describe it beyond that.

There. That was your Tom Crown plug for the day.

9. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    As regards H&B mutes - their standard straight is rather on the crappy side, but theiir Symphonic Straight is a beauty to behold and to hear. Very dignified tone, almost no added resistance, no intonation issues. It's the one I use in most situations, the Denis Wick and Jo-Ral straights being somewhat too brash in sound. As a cup, there should be no discussion - Denis Wick adjustable (can double as a fairly good straight as well. Harmon - H&B. Nice sound, and has rubbers on, so that you don't need to lick the corks to avoid the mute falling out (I've never had the H&B Harmon fall out of the bell, even though it is slightly on the heavy side If weight is an issue, the Tom Crown Harmon is quite good, but needs adjusting now ands then to prevent the tube from falling out). Plunger - any hardware store; but H&B make a nice rubber plunger with a ring grip that avoids embarrassing situations. If there's a bit of money left over, I would suggest adding a Bucket as well (H&B again).

10. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    Student recommendation only- Straight mute: Leblanc Alessi Vacchiano or Tom Crown, Cup Mute- H&B Stonelined, Harmon wah wah- Wait and get one on Trent Austins harmon mutes set to come out in about 3 weeks. They will be the bomb!