niece taking weekly lessons from pro...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Phatmon, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Phatmon

Phatmon New Friend

Oct 1, 2004
    Forest Lake, Mn
    Right now he has her working on basic speed drills, paying attention to her part when playing a duet, slurring and learning more sharps and flats. The book she uses goes no higher than d in the staff. At home I help her with what the instructor has assigned her but we also do our own "lesson" If I am practicing say out of Arbans and she likes the way something sounds she will ask me to show her, so I wil play and she will immitate the fingerings without actually looking at the music. Lately the scales I have been playing get up to a above the staff which she can not hit yet, but f# or even g she can hit fine. I know the teacher does not have her at this range yet and I have not told him what she can hit. I do not want to step on his shoes or anything like that. Is she benefitting from what I am showing her or is it best for her to just go at the teachers pace. :?

2. Yoder

Yoder Piano User

Aug 2, 2004
    Digital Domain
    I think you are adding a great touch to her education. If you go to my site http://www.co-bw.com then there are a couple of pages I would encourage you to go to learn how to optimize your teaching children music. First, check out on the main page what I call "The Site of the Month." These folks from Rice University have one of the greatest web sites when if comes to information. I link you to their music program that give some great advice, and they also have a free music theory course your niece may be interested in. Also, go to my main links page and check out the "Music Theory and Education" links. I am a ZeuS dealer, glad to see you own one, but am an educator by profession.

With my site I trying to build a place where educators and students can go to find musical resources. You may get some different looking pages as I am in the middle of re-building. My "Site-map" also has a lot of good information that can only be found there.

I think anything you do in addition to what the child gets from the teacher, instructor, etc., is extremely valuable. You are providing you niece with some good tutoring, I wish my math students had concerned adults in their lives that were as willing to help them. Good work, and keep it up. 8)

3. Phatmon

Phatmon New Friend

Oct 1, 2004
    Forest Lake, Mn
    Thanks so much for the positive reply and encouragement. She really enjoys playing and takes a really big intersest in alot of the greats, Dizzy, Miles,Chet,Arturo,etc. She is in 5th grade and will not be in band till next year so she has a decent "headstart". She has an Olds Ambassador which she is learning on but sometimes likes to use my Olympus when she goes to lessons. I love the horn and if I am not mistaken I own the sixth one that was made according to the serial number. We will check out your website this weekend, all your help is much appreciated. :D