Night school

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ed Lee, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Is there a university or college that offers night school (7:00 to 9:00 PM) in instrumental brass vis trumpet?

2. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    Most universities now offer a multitude of offerings for classes, from onsite, online, and even virtual classes where you login to a site on the computer and then there is a web session with live streaming data I took a statistics class like this where you could ask questions in real time and see demonstrations / live class lecture content all from your computer. I also know that there are trumpet instructors that will give lessons via skype, but how well can one really hear what you are doing or playing over a microphone over an Internet connection?? Maybe quite well, but I like one-on-one with a person better.

Back to your question, I suppose part of the answer would depend on what you are looking for in a class. A class to go towards a music degree or just a class to enhance your music education.

It appears that you are from North Carolina so I presume UNC, Duke, etc. would have some options you might call one of them and they could provide you with better information than what you might find on TM

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    KC, my question was asked not for myself as I've such as an Ed minor that is enough for me and I presently cannot play due to extreme health and dental issues. The son of a neighbor just out of the military asked me this and if such could be found, he'd consider such locale in his day job quest because his VET just wouldn't cover all his school expenses at this time.

I allowed him to play my Kanstul-Besson 609, and considering such and the fact he hadn't played for several years, I think he sounded remarkably good, but he was first to say he could use some college music education to play better. This I take as seeking degree credits at least.

I've already exhausted PA, WV, MD, VA and NC. None of these offer night classes in instrumental music. I did find several community colleges offering dance and studio arts, but such seemingly was adult education and non-degree.

At this point, I ask, if not ... why not? Many have the facilities that are not being utilized at such time for many have instrumental music courses during the day.

I do think he will be on his way somewhere away from this town ASAP as there isn't any job opportunity here, and he added no good looking women that weren't already taken.

As soon as he digs them out of his storage, he does say he has 2 trumpets and I didn't ask what specs.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  4. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    I think degree seeking vs non-degree seeking makes a big difference too. I was in engineering in school, but took classical guitar one semester in the evening. Now that I think about it, I may have been able to take it for credit as well, but I think it was offered through a different program such that you could take lessons, etc in a group setting and in the evening, but it didn't apply for a college education.

I took some other music education for credit during college, but the only thing that was done in the evening was reserved for performances which happened on a regular basis (Partially because the music classes required you to attend 2 or 3 evening performances as part of your grade.)

Evening classes could be good as I have toyed with the idea of taking some classes from a local university, but I already have 2 masters degrees and I really don't want another degree. :-) For curiosity sake I just checked a local university of which a professional trumpet player teaches some senior level jazz trumpet classes, but like a typical University the class times are all listed TBA so you probably have to be an active student or call the registrar to get information, but guessing they are taught during the day. :-( (Now I am curious and may have to call but the spouse may kill me if I take on any more activities...)

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Too, my instrumental Ed music courses required attendance at selected professional performances in the area and some college ones in which I had to participate, all held in the evening. I too hold 3 Bachelor degrees and one Master, none of which I can presently utilize for one reason or another.

Yes, I too have encountered TBA courses, which I understand have to be sufficiently subscribed to before they are offered, and then at whatever time slot the facility and appropriate staff are available. I had one where I had 15 miles to drive between classes and only 15 minutes to drive it and re-park. Luckily, I was able to borrow a motor scooter and park near the bike racks after a few short cuts that a car couldn't do. The consequence of this was my car was ticketed for overtime parking (overnight, that is) and TG not towed.

Still, I ask, why not?