No advise needed on this one

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Mar 4, 2006.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Hi Manny,

A while back I got a new Prana one C trumpet. I couldn't get it to play well for me and I thought the reason was the mouthpiece.

I have been playing the trumpet for about a year now with the B flat mouthpiece with pretty good results.

In my last lesson my teacher and I worked on not playing high on the pitch and he told me not to use the B flat mouthpiece so I called the factory and ordered another mouthpiece. The trumpet plays so nice now I can't believe it. I have to fight not to play too much because I have a church job in about an hour and a concert tonight.

It's nice to finally realize how nicely the trumpet really plays. and it's also nice to know that after about a year of playing the C trumpet the factory is still there to help me. :D

2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    That is great news B15...congrats! I am going out to the shop at the end of this month to solidify my Prana C (Shira :-) ) and narrow down my mouthpiece choice. I can't wait. It is good to hear stories like yours as it gives me that much more faith that I have made the right choice.

Sing, sing, sing B15!

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I just got home from my church job.
    It was in a huge old church in Bridgeport. I don't think I ever played with that powerful of an organ. The trumpet cut through nicely. I got the nod of approval from the organist when I was done.

I can't wait for the concert tonight!

Alex, You will love your new trumpet. Trust me, it's a lot of fun to play.

4. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Yeah, B15M is right, you'll love it. I have that same horn and it really sings.

Funny thing about the mouthpiece. I accidentally put a Bb mouthpiece in it the other day couldn't figure out why, for no apparent reason, random notes just didn't sound normal. Then I noticed the mouthpiece. D'oh!

Now I just want to get one of those heavier Manny-series mouthpieces...

And the Monette shop really is terrific. When I bought a used 937 Bb, they told me the mpc reciever needed to be replaced (it was worn out and the mouthpieces went in too far). I played it for a long time before I had time to send it in, but I just got it back and it's unbelievable how it plays now. They really do all they can to get you set up right. Heck, they even cleaned it for me (for free!).

So don't worry about your horn choice Alex, they'll take care of you!

Jason.

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I played the concert last night with the new mouthpiece.

The first half the horn projected like a missile.
    The second half I started getting tired. The mouthpiece must be a little bigger or more open then the other one I was playing because it's not like me to get tired.

When I did get tired the upper register went way sharp.
    I was playing a G 1 & 3 and pulling the slides. I must have been really choking off to go that sharp.

I used it again this morning on a church job and it was back to a big bountiful sound. After the postlude about half of the congregation was still there listening and I got a big applause.

The Reverend asked me if I would say a few words about my trumpet. I thought that was pretty cool.
    I had my Scherzer picc. and the Prana one C trumpet.

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    What an inspiring report! Bravo! It's great that you recognize when stuff happens that it's just a result of fatigue and no more than that. As you get stronger and more consistent you will become even happier.

ML