No air necessary!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Pedagogy' started by rowuk, Jan 30, 2018.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Well, perhaps. The amount of gunk stays the same, so the diaphragm gums up quickly and becomes the “bottleneck”. Nothing is 100% efficient, so what is the performance hit with a diaphragm?

The point here is that air is only required to lubricate the lips, allowing the standing wave to modulate it. In addition, The lip tension and airflow are in equilibrium. More lip tension needs more “blow”, that is how we go up in the partial series.

Strobe and tobylou8 like this.
  2. Mokey

Mokey New Friend

Feb 8, 2018
    Brownsville, TX
    What makes the tone louder and softer? and the valves are just a complicated way to change the shape of sound waves?
    I am having a hard time getting my head around this.

3. Strobe

Strobe Pianissimo User

Jul 5, 2016
    Northern Ohio
    My understanding and if I can recall my physics classes is that in a wave, the amplitude (height) correlates to "loudness" as you call it. You still need air in a trumpet to carry the waves. With the modified version in the video, you vibrate your lips to create the wave then the air in the mouthpiece (carrying the sound wave) is transferred to the membrane which vibrates the air in the trumpet which carries the sound wave (no sound in a vacuum) through the trumpet. The point is that the sound wave is transferred through the trumpet regardless of having a ton of air blown through the trumpet to carry the wave. As the sound wave travels through the trumpet, the vales modify the path and thus the sound. i.e. when you strike a bass drum you can get a loud sound, but you don't need to blow air through a bass drum. The drum is like the membrane in the videos but instead of a mallet, your lips vibrate air to give roughly the same outcome. Deflect the membrane (or bass drum) more and you get a higher amplitude/louder sound.

4. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    Loudness is not directly correlated to amplituds - but they are related. Loudness is an interpretation in our mind that involves both pitch and amplitude. Higher pitches are considered to be louder by our brains.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    To a 5th grader; Louder = blow harder Softer = blow less. After that it gets complicated. :grin::grin: