No Control

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ricecakes230, Apr 16, 2013.

1. ricecakes230

ricecakes230 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas
    Hello, I do not know the name of my issue, thus I couldn't see if it was already discussed. If it was, forgive me. This doesn't happen always in my playing but once in a while it does. This mostly happens when I play consistently, measure after measure in the high range. Which is like the high G right above the staff. Sometimes the high A, above the high G. I have to play loud as well so I use lots of air when holding out a note such as the high G. I keep my air strength where I can control it, I never let it go crazy. Then the air that I have built up in me ready to come out of my mouth...goes through my nose. I hear this weird sound that my nose produces. (No one can hear it) I keep trying to control it and make it go through my mouth, but it doesn't change it refuses to go through my mouth and it travels out my nose. This may be because I am tired and need to get used to playing at a higher range or maybe I am not breathing right? It doesn't always happen, but once it does it affects notes even like a regular B in the middle of the staff. :x:xThanks for the help.

2. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    No idea what it is or what causes it, but it sounds like something quiet long tones can fix.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It might be that your tongue gets too high towards the back. Try to reproduce this without the horn with your mouth closed. Once you figure out how to do it, you'll know what not to do while playing.

Good luck!

4. ricecakes230

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas
    OH MY GOSH! YES! IT'S FIXED! YOUR ADVICE WORKED INSTANTLY! You were right. My tongue was too up in the back. Tend to this because I know that high notes are produced by arching the tongue. I'm overdoing it. Thanks so much!

5. ricecakes230

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Glad it helped!

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    The VB does it again. :-)

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    "He said, tongue in cheek"

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That's why he gets paid the Big Bucks... OK Buck with the Bach... Pay the man.

10. ricecakes230

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas
    Although the advice worked at first. Once I got into some intense playing it came back. I need to break this habit. :(. Wish I could see an x-ray of my mouth when playing.