No Line Bifocal Glasses

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetup, Jul 15, 2009.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Surely there are trumpet players with bifocals. How do you deal with it? Thanks[/quote]

The way I deal with it is by missing a lot of notes. Dang, getting older is no fun. I've been trying to read with my son off the same stand and find that I'm always guessing at what is the note. And are they printing music smaller today? Sure seems I saw it better years ago.

When playing jazz band setup (standing with music stand low, at a 45 degree angle) I read fine, because bifocals are designed for looking at that angle. When I am sitting and looking head-on into a stand -that's the problem.

I suggest that all music companies be required to print the Readers Digest Large Print version for us old geesers.:D It's time accommodations came to music.

2. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    Yes it is tuff getting old. Although my sight isn't as good I think I'm getting taller. It's harder to reach the floor than it used top be.:D

3. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2003
    I used to use bifocal contacts and they were awful for reading music. Focus always kept shifting around. Finally solved all my problems by going to lineless (progressive) trifocals. Absolutely LOVE them. Work like a charm !! Music and MD are sharp all the time and I can then drive home in them.

4. mattc

mattc Pianissimo User

Dec 12, 2009
    California
    even without trying to read music, I couldn't stand no-line bifocals.

5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Being an advanced hobby woodworker, I found 'no line' bifocals to be a real nuisance. Every straight line that I looked at looked to be curved. Walking up or down stairs was another nightmare. Reading music on the stand and 'trying' to see the conductor was a challenge that I refused to accept. I couldn't focus on either of them quickly. I was directed by my opthalmologist that the cure was trifocals with lines. Perhaps foolishly, I also elected for photo sensitive lenses. These work a treat for almost everything, EXCEPT, for playing at any venue that has lighting that faces the musicians on the stage. The lenses turn absolutely black, making any vision of the music chart or the conductor impossible. A couple of battery powered stand lights cure that problem, causing a bit of derision from my younger band mates.

Hey, gettin old ain't for sissies!!!!!!

OLDLOU>>

6. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I am one that loves my no-line bi-focals for just about every thing except going up stairs [down is OK] playing ping pong watching TV when I lean back in my recliner and playing music. I have my "music" glasses that are made just for music.

7. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    They messed up your prescription. You are supposed to struggle to see everything and be able to complain about aging. ;-)

Seriously, I went back to my Optometrist's office, got my bifocal prescription and brought it to Costco, they said "we can do that" and got a pair of single vision - at supposed medium distance. I wore them twice.

Next eye exam I want a special prescription written for music stand distance - what is that, about 18 - 24"?

8. SFPat

SFPat Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Houston
    I have no-line tri-focals that have a spot for computer viewing. I find they are useless for reading music on the stand. The best for me is to just take my glasses off when I'm playing.

9. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    when I lean back in the recliner I'm looking through the reading area, when going up stairs as I look down I'm looking through the reading area and when playing ping pong the ball travels through multiple focal points. I have my focal point set at 30" for my music glasses and that works well for me.

10. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    How ironic that while I was reading the last post, the banner add was for Lasic +. "Give the gift of sight."