no more vibration!!???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ricecakes230, Sep 2, 2013.

1. ricecakes230

ricecakes230 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas
    Hey there, I was playing in my high range which just a few notes above the staff. I tried to go for a high c which is the note that sometimes comes out and sometimes doesn't. Only about 7 minutes into this, my lips wouldn't vibrate when I played high. The tone of the note would blast out for a moment but I coulnt sustain the note. I was using proper amount of breathe and air, I made sure my shoulders weren't all up and crazy. I made sure my aperature was open. No matter wwhat it felt like my lips just wouldn't sustain the notes this never really happened. I know endurance isn't forever but I was barely done with my warmup! I gave up before I destroyed my lips and just did a warm down and chilled. This has been going on for about 3 days of practice..

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It might be that you are concentrating on your keeping your aperture open might be the culprit. If too large, the high notes won't sound. I would suggest you let your air define your aperture. To combat that, spend some time with long tones, but at quieter than the horn wants to sound--it is as if the sound is trapped in the bell. Another technique is to buzz your mouthpiece before playing, with a medium high and medium loud note. Mark that and use that as your home tone, and then expand upwards from there on the instrument. Slur in order from your home tone a half step up, a full step one and a half steps, etc.

Let the instrument play you.

Have fun!

3. ricecakes230

ricecakes230 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas
    I feel like I am forcing it and getting nothing out of the horn, I learned the hard way about "forcing notes". But no matter how relaxed or open i try to be it doesn't fit together. This is a new issue for me... Where do you suggest I go up to with the long tones and how long should I give each tone?