no mouthpiece buzz

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by morganiser, Feb 16, 2014.

Tags:
  1. morganiser

morganiser New Friend

Dec 17, 2012
    London
    Hi, I have a problem in that I have great difficulty buzzing on my mpc. I can buzz on lips only - but with restricted range, easily buzz with mouthpiece and just the lead pipe and have no problem producing conventional notes on the horn. I play on a 1c. Any thoughts?
    Thanks.

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    How often are you called on to play just your mouthpiece?

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    OK, I will ignore the last post, and assume that your mouthpiece is attached to a horn at the time of buzzing. When buzzing the orbicularus muscles are being pulled by the larger straps of lateral dilating muscles in the faced (kind of like a forced smile feel). This tends to narrow or close off the aperture as that smile is tensed. That is likely what you are describing. So one piece of advice is not to put so much tension on those muscles when buzzing.

I actually don't like to buzz and rather use a pwhooo (soft vibratory) force on the mouthpiece rim. I get that by using the more diagonal dilating muscles attaching to the orbicularus, that anchors above onto the zygomatic arch (the bone just below the orbit of the eye). That takes the face into a curved coroners up smile. It not only opens the aperture more for air outflow, but is also creates the more socially acceptable smile that is loved by the ladies.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I think buzzing the lips alone can be dangerous unless under the watchful eye of a good teacher. Something fun to try: Place the mouthpiece very lightly in the trumpet, play a note and slowly pull the mouthpiece out of the trumpet, maintaining the same pitch, then (while still playing the same pitch) return it to the receiver. In both cases there is a "break" where chaos rules and nothing wants to come out and our goal is to play through the break.

Have fun!

5. morganiser

morganiser New Friend

Dec 17, 2012
    London
    Thanks.I take your point Sethoflagos but so often it is recommended as a warm up.

6. morganiser

morganiser New Friend

Dec 17, 2012
    London
    I have tried the method you describe and hey presto - a mouthpiece buzz. Many thanks.

7. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    As a point of interest, Tine Thing Helseth can't lip buzz and it doesn't do her any harm

8. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    I would love to buzz Tine's mouthpiece

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO most mouthpiece buzzers I've encountered are Kazooing and exhausting their wind quickly, a process that isn't really welcome when playing a brass instrument.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Relax. I can free buzz, mpc buzz, leadpipe buzz, and even play the trumpet. Players that say they can't "no matter what " haven't tried it long enough. Nobody told me I couldn't so I did.