No Nasty Notes?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sethoflagos, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    In comebacks, there's always gob-stoppers. I'm still fighting with mine,too,Seth. But at least I'm enjoying what I can do:oops::roll::lol:;-)

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Better to have squirrels than dinosaurs.

[​IMG]

3. strad116055

strad116055 Pianissimo User

May 27, 2014
    chicago
    i think its important to be patient with oneself. you should have the sound of the music in your head. you can really be a perfectionist about that. really know exactly how you want it to sound. there are a million things that tend to go through our heads when we play, even when we're thinking about the music, like how we're doing; "oh that note wasn't what i wanted, etc", but keep bringing it back to what you hear in your head. keep it in the envelope. it is really an accomplishment to play a piece of music such as this beautifully. isolate the bits that you can't play the way you want and work on them slowly. as slowly as you need to. you can be analytical here. what is the problem? are my chops not really making those notes? are my fingers not moving accurately in time? really listen to yourself. don't just play through things, closing your ears to the parts you don't like. and don't be satisfied with the squirrels. forgive them, but don't be satisfied. the squirrels will not go away by themselves. practice squirrels enough, and squirrels is what you get. but be willing to try again tomorrow. after all that, don't stay on the same piece for ten years before you do anything else because it wasn't perfect. to me, being a perfectionist in a negative way is beating yourself up in frustration when you aren't perfect. that doesn't help. i think its a balancing act. imagine perfection, strive for it patiently, and ultimately forgive yourself for being less than.

4. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Dinosaurs only play nasty notes:

[​IMG]

5. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Seth, please, don't be too humble: instead of saying "gosh! I have not played this as written," say "why the composer did not write this properly?"... :cool:

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    not true! Yesterday I had a couple of nice ones too!

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Cretaceous Lead Trumpeters?

[​IMG]