No repair - yet paid for it

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by johnfin, Sep 26, 2014.

1. johnfin

johnfin New Friend

Mar 17, 2011
    I took a chinese piccolo trumpet in to the local repair shop because the second valve sticks when held down for a moment. Told and showed the repair man the problem yet when I got it home to play it , the problem was still there. I called the repair man and he was rude, even accused me of dropping the horn on the way home. Really? I called the owner of the shop and told him I was done doing business with his store. Is there a way I can try to make the valve return faster. I have tried all of the expensive oils and they did not help.

2. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Forget the expensive oil, try a more expensive horn. The valves on many of those horns are garbage and can't be repaired. If it sticks on the way up, the tolerance may be too large, not fixable.

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    garbage in, garbage out. You buy a cheap horn then complain because it is cheap. LOL

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    You can try some toothpaste to lap it. You need to clean it out very well, and give the whole horn a bath. It may be a thin casing, and it may have distorted, causing the valve to stick. It is always a gamble with a cheap horn, but sometimes they can be OK for a beginner.

- Disassemble, Bath the horn and strip it. Snake the horn out.
    - Lap the Valve, by using toothpaste on the valve, insert it back into the horn, and move it up and down quickly - I would do this for a few minutes.
    - Clean the valve and the horn well. let it all dry, and then grease and oil again.

Tell us how it goes.

Not everyone can afford a known horn when starting - and you will appreciate the more expensive one when you finally can afford one.

Good luck.

5. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    If the tolerance is too large lapping will make it even worse. Poor tolerances are common on these horns...if the first shop already lapped it is probably already way off. Just saying, if the first shop didn't fix it, I doubt any home remedies will work.

6. johnfin

johnfin New Friend

Mar 17, 2011
    The valve works ok if pressed quickly. How would the tolerances play out with the speed of the operation. I dont understand that.

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    If the tolerance is too large, the valve wobbles side to side and doesn't move straight up and down. This causes hanging, especially on the upstroke.

8. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Why would you push a valve slowly? Are you positive you are going straight up and down? It is pretty much impossible for any of us to accurately diagnose your valve over the internet. I took a guess at tolerances cause that's a common problem on junky horns. Maybe you could find another shop, or throw the horn out and cut your losses.

9. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    If you are going to toss it out, and assuming the shop did nothing, then I would have a go at lapping it myself before binning it. Costs nothing, and may help. If it does not work, you are no worse off than binning it.

BTW what did the repair shop charge? and what did they tell you that they did to it?

10. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Oy...