No warm up

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Starkly, May 27, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Starkly

Starkly New Friend

May 26, 2014
    I seem to be having an odd problem recently.

Usually warming up helped me but I could still play decently without it in some respects (I always warmed up despite this; don't freak out). Lately, I can't get above a top-line F, have to use excessive air, and I feel that there is much more deliberation, if you will, in the note coming out (if it can at all).

Some days after warming up, I overcome this and play normally. Some days, even after warming up I seem to be stuck with the problem and play just terribly.

I realize the internet's not the best place to ask this, but my teacher's still in PA from ITG.

My warmup consists of: chromatics, scales, arpeggios, clarke 2 slurred, tongued, double tongued. Note that this is my warm up...I do exercises on top of this such as lip slurs and Stamp, but that's usually later.

2. mattiasc

mattiasc Piano User

Jan 14, 2013
    I never warm up. I conditioned myself to put the horn to my face and play. Maybe something changed in your routine.??

Grz.

3. Starkly

Starkly New Friend

May 26, 2014
    I feel like that is where I want to head to. Right now I literally need two whole minutes (even at a concert or something) before I can comfortably play something difficult.

How did you move towards there? Just start warming up less time each few weeks or something like that?

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, Starkly!

Wait for your teacher to get back. That way you can be heard and viewed live and in 3-D with surround sound. Anything we can do here is just speculation.

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    As usual, VB has found a nail with a head, and hit it thereupon.

6. mattiasc

mattiasc Piano User

Jan 14, 2013

I really never had a warmup routine.

Grz.

7. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Starkly,
    I have to agree with VB and wait for your teacher to get back. However, there is something you can do that might take care of the problem. Clean the horn real good and be sure to clean out the mouthpiece. A dirty mouthpiece can play havoc on a person's range, endurance and sound.
    Dr.Mark

8. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    As for warming up. Many things are at play when a person does this. Warming up gets the ears, the body, the lips, and the brain ready. My warmup is fairly simple. l'll play part of a song and then set the horn down for about 5 minutes. Then when I pick up the horn the second time, I'm ready. If a person can operate without a warmup that's great. I however need to kickstart the machine before I start.
    Dr.Mark

9. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I often play without a preceding warmup if you mean immediately before I sit down. I am MUCH more comfortable, however, if I played some earlier. I like to play for 45 minutes to an hour, another 30 to 45 minutes, then later play the gig. My confidence is high that way, I have all the pitches centered in my head (don't have perfect pitch) and I subsequently play more relaxed. What is important is whatever works for you.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    +1 on waiting for your teacher for a face to face. I wanted a more regimented warm up routine when I started back years ago. I landed on Walter Moecks routine and have stuck with it to this day. Most players want/do a warmup but depending on your own development too much warm up can affect your playing. One poster a few years ago warmed up a minimum of 45 minutes. That's not a warm up but a practice session!!! BTW, Moecks was my practice routine for awhile when I first started.;-)