Noel is at it again!

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by Tootsall, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Noel Langley can be heard NOW on BBC Radio online. BBC Radio Two "From the Stables: : Jazz : Monday : 21:00 : 1 Hr A series of jazz concerts presented by Cleo Laine and John Dankworth. "

Woman's Hour | Diana Krall mini-site at R3 Broadcast Date:
    Weds 7 April 9:00 pm Radio 2"

Not only that, but he's ALSO playing lead for Playing lead trumpet for Diane Krall "On the eve of the release of her new album, singer and pianist Diana Krall talks to Jenni Murray. Woman's Hour | Diana Krall mini-site at R3 Broadcast Date: Weds 7 April 9:00 pm Radio 2"

Now, not one to rest on his laurels, Noel will be departing for several weeks as the only trumpet accompanying 14? ladies from West End London shows on a tour of Japan. Noel has just purchased himself a laptop computer c/w wireless world-wide internet so stay tuned... he should have some good stories to tell. (good grief... and I thought it was always the trombone players who got the girls! )

He told me some other stuff he's up to as well, but there was so darn much that I forgot half of it! LOL. Maybe he'll pop in here and list a couple of projects he has going... or maybe not. Some of it is "important" though so I hope he let's us know what else he's up to soon.

BTW, the first gig is online now if anyone wants to listen to a rerun of it.

2. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Hi Ed, thanks for the heads up - but I'm a little confused: is Noel playing on Woman's Hour tonight on Radio 2?

I heard the interview with Diana Krall on Radio 4 this morning, but there was only some vocal and piano stuff - no big band (unless I missed it!)

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Not sure on that, Jack. It was later on last night when I was talking to Noel (and about 2 or 3 am HIS TIME!) so I just tried to find the info off of the BBC website. I know that the "From the Stables" show with Cleo IS currently running on the "Hear it again" thing. I would think that the Diane Krall will be archived to run throughout the next week so......

Noel also mentioned something being recorded with a young lady (18? 19 years old?) who is supposed to be a fantastic singer.... since I'm on the "other side of the pond" where (c)rap, Britney, & "Country & Western" reigh supreme I'm afraid I haven't heard of her so her name fell out of my cache memory before I could "back it up". :)

Hoping Noel or one of his buddies can refresh our memories.... sounded like something I'd like to hear. (thank goodness for internet radio!)

4. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Hi Ed - I've found the 'From the Stables' recording - thanks.

As for this singer - could be one of a number! Does the name Amy Winehouse ring any bells? (She's getting quite big over here, and she gigs a lot with her trio - I sort of know her pianist).

Oh... and I thought it was always the lead player that gets all the girls!

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Winehouse... BINGO! (how could I forget a name like that?)

6. lonelyangel

lonelyangel Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2003
    London
    Diana Krall

The Diana Krall concert is being recorded on Thursday April 15 for broadcast on Friday May 7 at 19:30. After that it wiil be available on the BBC website for 7 days. Todays program was just an interview.

I played a concert with DK about 18 months ago at the Royal Festival Hall with the RPO and her quartet. It was a fantastic experience - not only because of the kick-ass playing and enchanting singing of Ms Krall but also due to the exquisite orchestrations. The writing was shared by 3 of the world's greatest exponents of the arrangers craft, Vince Mendoza, Claus Ogerman and Johnny Mandel. There was hardly anything for the brass section to play and it was just a sheer pleasure to sit bathed in the glow of the rich and spine tingling textures these writers coaxed from the orchestra - a dream gig. Hopefully we'll be getting to hear a lot more from Ms Krall over here, now that she is hitched to a Brit (Elvis Costello).

I'll let you know how it goes and thanks to Ed for the publicity - I'll try not to fade out behind my stand on this one! :)

All the best, Noel.

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Noel...thanks for the heads up on the date. You should let BBC know that they need to be a bit more clear about upcoming events! I found it difficult to track the info down that I did find (even if it was a bit confusing with the reference to the April 7 program). Which "forum" will the show be broadcast from? the Friday Night? from the Stable? some other?

No fear of you fading behind the stand now that I know how big you are (or else it must be one heck-uv-a-stand!).

Don't mess with him guys.... I thought I was relatively big at 6'4 and 210. He's bigger!

8. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Thanks for clearing that up Noel.

I agree Ed, I find bits of the BBC website confusing (I gave up trying to order advance proms tickets - I just got lost!).

9. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Re: Diana Krall

You've got to be kidding! I didn't think you faded out -- in fact that moment was truly amazing. If ever there was an example of "giving it your all" for the performance, that was it!

It will stand out in my mind as one of the great moments of trumpet playing -- especially when you think it was in an accompaniment role! I have heard players give a lot less when being paid a lot more. I know you were kidding, but I have to tell you, that moment was IMPRESSIVE!

I am big on giving it your all with your talents and gifts. I state that on my website and to my students and in my research. That was a supreme example Noel. Hats off to you!

Stepping down from the soapbox now ...

M&C