Noel Langley

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Tootsall, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Hey... hurry hurry...limited time offer (two days?)

I found out that there is a sample of Noel's "Legit side" on the BBC website which I've mentioned before. If you go to BBC.CO.UK and click to the "Radio Two" link, select "Listen Again", and then select "Friday Night is Music Night" from the dropdown list, you'll start up a streaming audio of a radio show.

Using the "skip 5 minute" button that appears in the player, scroll through to about 18:15 time slot and give a listen. Noel is playing 1st trumpet in the West Side Story "Symphonic Dances". This is from the "Friday, Feb 27/04" show so this coming Friday it will be changed to the current week.

Noel...were you using your Eclipse (which one?) on this?

2. lonelyangel

lonelyangel Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2003
    London
    Hi Ed, thanks for drawing attention to this - hope you enjoyed it.

I was playing my medium yellow Eclipse on this show - and it was much admired by Kate Moore, who is the principal trumpet player in the BBC Concert Orchestra. For anybody who is intrested, I was using my trusty Giardinelli 6S.

In case anybody is interested I thought I'd share some information about the gig. I was only playing in the Bernstein - as what we call over here a bumper.
    In effect this means that I played all the loud, high and sustained stuff - while Kate handled all the quiet solo parts.
    I have played this piece many times before with, amongst others, the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and the Stavanger Symphony Orchestra (in Norway). I have played the first part entirely on my own, as a bumper (meaning i play the parts that the regular player doesn't want to play) and with a bumper (meaning I tell the bumper to play the parts that I don't fancy). Thats a subtle difference but it can make it a lot more comfortable to perform when you are in charge. I don't really mind either way and, on this occasion Kate was very pragmatic encouraging me to play as much as I wanted to - it's pretty obvious in this piece anyway. I must say that playing the closing bars ppp in cup mute with whispering strings is my defenition of scary - especially after the demands of the 'mambo' earlier in the piece.

We gave this performance - which was broadcast live - with only 2 hours rehearsal time given to the Symphonic Dances. Believe it or not that is something of a luxury in this town! Often there will only be time to 'top and tail' the pieces for a concert or broadcast - whereas in Norway we rehearsed for about 4 days!!!

On a personal note this gig slotted in nicely to my schedule last week. We finished playing at 9:15pm so I had just enough time to get into the west end, down a large cappucino at Bar Italia (best coffee north of Milan) and stroll over the road to start the first set at Ronnie Scotts with Tim Garland's Electric Underground Orchestra. I finished work at 2:30am every night and got to bed some time after 4:00. I'm still catching up on my sleep now - but it was worth it - what a great week at the club!

All the best. Noel.

3. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    Sounded great, Noel!
    You mean they pay people other than Maynard to just play loud and high? I gotta get me one of those jobs. I can scream all day, but ask me to play quietly and high, my chops will be gone after 20 minutes.

4. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I had a bit of trouble getting this to work at first , then I realised it started at 1h 18.15 (d'oh!)

Sounds great Noel - both you and Kate Moore.

I have to say, you've got some admirable chops!