Noel playing my new Eclipse conversion

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Thevor, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Thevor

Thevor Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2003
    Next to the Volcano
    This was taken at First Class Brass in the UK, Noel Langley is playing my 53" Ambassador that was sent to Leigh to be reworked. Leigh was unfettered with repairing this horn, in fact I ask him to do "as he wished". This is the result and from the reports it has impressed a few guys passing through the shop.

http://img36.photobucket.com/albums/v108/georgejohnson/The Olds Process/Captured_2004-3-15_00001.jpg

http://img36.photobucket.com/albums/v108/georgejohnson/The Olds Process/Captured_2004-3-15_00002.jpg

From what I have understood from Leigh, this is the first successful dual tuning slide horn that he has produced. In other words, I own the worlds first horn of its kind.... pretty cool.

Since I can't really call it an Olds any more I am calling it the "Duet".

George

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I still think that, since it has elements of the Eclipse design added to an Olds you should call it "Old Lips".

3. Thevor

Thevor Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2003
    Next to the Volcano
    I have had a few inquiries in regards to the cost of the work and conversion of my horn. Honestly, I have not recieved a final price from Leigh. I can say after having a few discussions with Leigh and based on his original quote (before I threw caution to the wind), that he will always be fair, honest and reasonable with his prices. Above all, his work speaks for itself, if your work is done by First Class Brass, it will be unparalleled in craftmanship and skill. I literally sent my horn to someone across the big pond with only one instruction.... "do what you want". It really has been fun and I trust Leigh emphatically.

Regardless of the price, I sent Leigh a horn that is noted for being a very good instrument, even for its "student horn" moniker. I am getting back a pro-level horn that probably would compare to most, if not all pro-level horns out there and surpass even more. From what I have heard, 4 very skilled pro players in the UK have given my horn a blow and have loved it. (one made an offer) I can't speak from personal experience, I can only go by the opinion of those who have played it that I am going to recieve a very fine instrument.

Considering what I did was VERY unorthodox (some might think completely crazy). I thought and weighed how much I would pay for a new pro-level horn (considering the range of pricing from $950 to $3600) If the final quote comes in anywhere in between I am going to be very satisfied. I am getting a pro-level horn period, with the benefit of having the inntonation and slotting of an Eclipse or the wonderful sound that the Ambassador is known for. Beyond that, I have been told that with the two tuning slides working so well together, I'll have the abiltiy to make this horn sound warm or bright, therefore adjust it to the playing conditions. Can you put a price tag on that? I think its already a great bargain because I am getting THIS horn.

BTW, I used US Postal Service to send the horn. It was $60 one way, insured and took 12 days to get there. It did cost a bit more because I added a few books in the shipment that Leigh was interested in.

For those interested in a price, send Leigh an email, I think he would be happy to give you a quote. He has a great sense of humor and is very accomodating, as you can see.

Thanks,
    Geo

4. lonelyangel

lonelyangel Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2003
    London
    I have posted a review of the horn in The Wild West thread.

Noel.

5. Horn of Praise

Horn of Praise Pianissimo User

Nov 1, 2003
    United States
    Amazing...I didn't know that was possible. It just made a vintage Ambassador better.

All the best.