Noises

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cobragamer, Aug 10, 2009.

1. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    Playing has never been a problem for me but recently in the last year I have started with these noises in my throat that arent effecting the way I play but I think the audience can here them. Any ideas how I can get this worked out?

2. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    well, I think there could be something stuck in your throat. Like a tiny piece of metal. Or its carbon dioxide that's not getting released and it makes a noise. what i suggest is try going to the doctor. My doctor knows lots about music and health combined.

3. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    A common problem for a lot of players is that they start developing a tightening in the throat. This is usually accompanied by noises emanating from the throat (grunts, almost snoring like sounds, etc.).

You need to practice concentrating on relaxing the throat...if you hear the noises, stop, think about your throat and relaxing it, then start again. Do this until you 'relearn' how to play with the throat relaxed.

bigtiny

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    RAK is correct that unusual sounds eminating from your through can be due to a foreign body. But you probably would have other symptoms, apart from those you notice when playing the trumpet. So this is probably not the cause in your case.

I agree with Bigtiny. You're probably tightening your throat, and this is leading to grunts.

Mike

5. cobragamer

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    It is almost like that throat sound that you do while beat boxing ans sorry to disappoint you but i don't think it is a foriegn object.

6. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    It's a pretty common "nervous habit", to use the term we used to use for it. Lots of people do it, at least for a while. Just don't go all Glenn Gould on us, and it'll probably pass. I always found that the better prepared I was for a piece of music, the less likely I was to start calling toads.

7. cobragamer

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    It happens when I practice so I am pretty sure it is not nervous maybe if i relax and not focus on it it will go away

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I have heard small grunts like singing from the throat at times... it comes and goes and I do not remember the last time it happened; but I was relaxed and No real problem.

You can feel pretty sure that if the audience is more than 1 metre away, then they will hear the sound of the music from the horn, not the grunts. Perhaps with a mute it may be more noticeable.
    Try and tape it when it happens. You will be amazed at the difference between what you hear, and what the audience hears.

Perhaps we should ask John McEnroe or Jimmy Connors ...the best grunters ever.

But seriously, if it is of any concern check with you teacher/mentor, then a Doc.
    Cheers